Help with new blackbellys !!!

matthew_reagor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I just bought these two blackbellys three days ago and Ive never had sheep before. She looks way too skinny to me, what could be wrong? I'm not seeing worms in their poop, and they've been wormed. Should I just get the vet out?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @matthew_reagor from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH. Good morning as well... It's still a little early on a Monday, so it may take a bit to get the answers you seek. Glad you joined us! From the pics, it doesn't look like anything imminently life threatening. She appears to have some deep indentations right before her hips, but her leg muscles look OK and her overall form doesn't appear to be too "off".

I'll tag a few sheeple here who would be far better to give advice. Good luck with your new sheep!

@purplequeenvt @Sheepshape @Roving Jacobs @norseofcourse @mysunwolf @SheepGirl There are many more as well. Hope you'll take some time and browse around in the sheep section. You'll possibly see other pictures and stories/experiences that may help.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi,Matthew, and welcome.

How old is this ewe? Older ewes tend to look this way all the time after they have had a fair few lambs. Younger ewes can look a bit 'sunken', too, for some months after they have lambed, and a ewe coming up to having a lamb 'drops' her belly. Has she lambed in the recent past?

Looking at poop for worms is VERY unreliable....a worm egg count from the vet. is always the best. Remember,also, that resistance to wormers is quite common....check with your vet which wormer is best to use in the area she came from and the area that you are in.

She certainly doesn't look horribly skinny to me. A lot of my ewes are pretty lean at this time of year after their lambs have 'drained them down' as is said around here.

Good luck with your girls.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a Dorper Katahdin cross that looked like that and she was super healthy. She had 3 lambing so very likely that is the issue. Barbadoes are pretty skinny in common so that might be it also. @alsea1 Has barbadoes.

matthew_reagor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you! She had a set of lamb twins 5 months ago, and the lady I got them from said she had been bred again.

I think I'll bag some poop and send it to a vet just to be sure. Thank you guys so much!!!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you! She had a set of lamb twins 5 months ago, and the lady I got them from said she had been bred again.

I think I'll bag some poop and send it to a vet just to be sure. Thank you guys so much!!!
Your welcome. And by the way welcome.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and congrats on your new sheep! You've gotten some good advice already. Hope the fecal check comes back good.

matthew_reagor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a bag of ranch pros lamb grower, is that okay to feed? I originally thought I was getting lambs, but decided to get her and a ram lamb instead.

Reactions: TAH