Help with newborn goats

courtney painter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Nursemate Lamb ASAP works well for newborn lambs and kids. It gives them a little boost for the first few critical hours. It is a gel and squirt 2 ccs in the side of their mouth. I have not lost a kid since I started using this 4 years ago. I always have some commercial colostrum to give to the newborns if the mom is rejecting.
Thank you so much

courtney painter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congratulations! In addition to the warm molasses or electrolyte water. I drench 50-60 cc's of mfo solution to the dam for the first 3 days. It helps replace some of the things they have lost including calcium to help prevent milk fever.
Thank you so much! I love all the advice!

courtney painter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If she is a first mum to her kids ,she must learn it, those babies will cry, for her, are they crying? And instinct, for her, is, it may not happen straight away, but my experience in birthing and looking after some mumma animals in the first time, she will need to act on her own and if her first ones are crappy, then you should be worried if she has no deal to her babies after 72 hours, that’s a no. Major intervene, take them off her and then the human way, right, bottles and warmth. Love Dee..
Hey she lets them eat when she is eating now. I have kinda got her use to it. I go out everyday to make sure. She licks them now and only runs away sometimes now. Thank you

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Courtney, so glad you got the kids up and eating. First timers can be a pain. Some automatically know what to do the others look at the kids with disbelief and disgust until they realize that those babies belong to them. Her second kidding should be fine and she should know exactly what to do. Now you do too, with any other new moms, thanks to Goat Whisperer! Have fun.

jsteph3919 & RathdrumGal: Where do you get Nursemate? Does Jeffers carry it? Sounds like a good thing to keep in the medical fridge for emergences. I always like to have my emergency stuff before lambing/kidding season since I can't wait for the deliveries in an emergency! LOL Lambing season is over for me now. I will be breeding Dorpers in March/April now, so can order next lambing season. What is shelf life/expiration?
@Ridgetop, have you ever tried Jumpstart Plus? It works the same way and you can get it at Tractor supply.

courtney painter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you.i am having too much fun with them. She still acts a little strange towards the babies but they jump right on to her. I love dressing them up .

Attachments

• FFC0452E-F2D4-4D76-AFFD-DE04EF8C0BC1.jpeg
    FFC0452E-F2D4-4D76-AFFD-DE04EF8C0BC1.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 263
  • B9153E31-B429-40EC-94A0-DE061B909FFA.jpeg
    B9153E31-B429-40EC-94A0-DE061B909FFA.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 263

wayneleake

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you.i am having too much fun with them. She still acts a little strange towards the babies but they jump right on to her. I love dressing them up .
My youngest babies barely let me get in a pet once in a while.
I picked one up yesterday, and he screamed and kicked like I was trying to kill him or something.
I get variations in who will get friendly and who will not. That is, except when they are older and sure want those treats.
I admit they can look cute dressed up, but it tends to be warm enough here, Imperial Texas, that they seldom need it, and they sleep in groups anyway.
I've been raising em for 12 years (I think) and they all vary so much.
Keep up the good work.
My Bottle baby from ;last year is a real pest. She thinks my neighbor/Friend who fed her is her mama, and evidently I am her daddy.
I do love to read about the adventures and misadventures of sheep and goats. Mine are Boer and BoerX, and Barbado/Blackbelly sheep.