Help with Sheep Questions

ShadowsFIAL

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looks like we got an acre instead. Less than what i was hoping for, but better than renting in the city! So we made some changes to our plans. The sheep will have two pastures we will rotate them between, and have their shelter in the center of the two, on the inside where our driveway is. This will give them two pastures of equal size around 99'x68'. I plan to throw down some grass and clover seed next week to see what takes, however it already has lots of good grass on it, just wanted to add a bit more nutrients.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your new place!
If you want more nutrients, you might try something other than grass or clover. Sheep really love forbs (weeds). You probably can't get packets of weed seeds (lol), but you might be able to find seeds for things like chicory or lespedeza (if they grow in your area). Or some veggie plants - I'm going to grow some turnips this year for my sheep, maybe radishes too.

ShadowsFIAL

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats on your new place!
If you want more nutrients, you might try something other than grass or clover. Sheep really love forbs (weeds). You probably can't get packets of weed seeds (lol), but you might be able to find seeds for things like chicory or lespedeza (if they grow in your area). Or some veggie plants - I'm going to grow some turnips this year for my sheep, maybe radishes too.

Haha everything was a weed at one time! I wonder if I searched hard enough if I could find forb seeds. Also I will have to search for chicory & lespedeza. I have never heard of those. :p So they like the turnip tops and radish tops? I might try and convice my husband to plant some in the pastures haha. I like turnips and radishes as well, so they will have to share.

ShadowsFIAL

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is this a good mixture?

Great Plains Sheep Forage Blend
$100.98 + Free Shipping
Coverage Area:
Quantity: *

Product Summary
Seeding Rate:
20 lbs. / Acre
REGION:
Great%20Plains%20Region%20Map_7.png

SUN/SHADE:
SU-PT.png

HEIGHT:
6'' to 4'
ANIMALS:
Sheep
USES:
Food Plot
WATER:
med_water.png

More Information
Raising sheep in the Great Plains requires a high quality pasture able to withstand the snowy winters and hot summers. Our Great Plains sheep pasture blend contains a selection of grasses and legumes designed to provide nutrient-dense, palatable forage for your sheep, lambs and lactating ewes. We’ve also included birdsfoot trefoil and chicory to help control internal parasites in sheep and lambs.

This blend produces a pasture that will contain approximately:

• 40% Tall Fescue (endophyte free)
  • 20% Kentucky Bluegrass
  • 10% White Clover
  • 10% Birdsfoot Trefoil
  • 5% Chicory
Note that due to state legal restrictions, Chicory will be removed from shipments to Colorado.

In an effort to help our customers visualize the finished product, note that the percentages listed above are what you can expect the stand to contain once established. For the contents of this seed blend by weight, please contact us to request a digital copy of the seed tag.

Gaylittleswan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, for two horned jacob rams, they usually seem to be symmetrical, but on the females and four+ horned sheep there is no guarantee. But overall, if you buy from a breeder that has ewes and rams with nice, strong, even horns, their offspring should reflect those traits.
Jacobs are a really pleasant breed, and they produce high quality fiber and (from what I've heard), a good quality meat. One webpage that I found claims that their milk is pretty sweet, but I've only heard it be mentioned once. Although jacobs tend to be shy, that can be improved with handling.
I might just be biased, but I definitely would look at the breed a bit deeper before turning it down. After all, every breed has some great things to offer!