Help With Sick Goat

Josh

Just born
Reaction score
My son's goat couldn't stand all the way up it walked on its knees in the front. Now it wont get up and is lathargic. Will drink if you put her head in the water. I have no idea what is wrong. I gave her a peniciline shot but she is no better. Looking worse. Any idea what could be wrong and what I could give her?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Any chance of getting her to a vet?

I'm new to goats and don't know. Hopefully someone else can give you some answers.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Coccidiosis would be my guess... dehydration will kill so keep the goat hydrated as much as possible and get a vets help !!

Josh

Just born
Reaction score
pigmi. 3 months old. female. What other info do you need? Wormed about 2 weeks ago.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
call the vet asap...be able to provide the rectal temperture,heart rate, respiration rate, and overall condition/appearance of the animal...don't waste time reading here get on the phone.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Could be anything, sounds like she has crashed and will need intensive therapies to get through it...I would throw the kitchen sink at her. I agree, you probably need a vet.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
()relics said:
call the vet asap...be able to provide the rectal temperture,heart rate, respiration rate, and overall condition/appearance of the animal...don't waste time reading here get on the phone.
I agree get this animal help ...you can not guess this out on this site. The goat could be in serious trouble so do not waste time.. get the goat to the vet before you loose her!!!