Help with week old nigie recently recovered from hypothermia

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As @Jesusfreak101 said, yes, milk before you let the kid(s) or calf (calves) in to suck. All according you can milk them out or leave some for the baby. It is easier on the momma if you leave some for the baby or they will repeatedly butt her and make her sore. But the female will produce more because they are being stimulated to do so; therefore the milk production will increase. With the cows/calves I will milk out at least 2 quarters if I have 2 calves on her, they each get a quarter, or a part of the quarter. If I really need milk, I will milk her out then wait for an hour or so to let the calves on her. She will have some milk for them and they will go after her fairly often during the day thus stimulating her to make more milk. I tend to leave a little more for them while they are smaller, then milk more out as they get to eating some on their own....Lots of things figure in, weather and temps and age of the babies.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Milk before you let him nurse other wise he will drink most if not all of it. The idea is for you to drain the udder and her body will make more milk to feed him during the day. I only milk once a day if I wanted to milk twice then bottle feeding would become nessicary. Also Nigerians make a good amount of milk so you should be loaded before long.
Okay. I see what you're saying. I milk twice, so I should still give the bottle at night for now. Thanks so much.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As @Jesusfreak101 said, yes, milk before you let the kid(s) or calf (calves) in to suck. All according you can milk them out or leave some for the baby. It is easier on the momma if you leave some for the baby or they will repeatedly butt her and make her sore. But the female will produce more because they are being stimulated to do so; therefore the milk production will increase. With the cows/calves I will milk out at least 2 quarters if I have 2 calves on her, they each get a quarter, or a part of the quarter. If I really need milk, I will milk her out then wait for an hour or so to let the calves on her. She will have some milk for them and they will go after her fairly often during the day thus stimulating her to make more milk. I tend to leave a little more for them while they are smaller, then milk more out as they get to eating some on their own....Lots of things figure in, weather and temps and age of the babies.
Thank you so much. That was VERY helpful!!