Help

Uberman

Just born
Reaction score
I am just doing a quick intro(first post here) and then have to get on with my question. I moved to Reading Pa about a year ago from Arizona. I have establish a garden, edible landscape and have animals. I am a member of the BYC forum, that is how I got here.

I have started a rabbit breeding program. I have two does who had one successfully litter each with the same buck. One had 6 babies and one had 8 about 4 months ago. I had rebred them, the one who had 8 had 9 the one who had 6 had 2. The 2 died in short order. The one who had 9 will be down to 5 in a couple hours.

Her babies look healthy, they are out of the box running, playing and even eating a little of mothers food. However, they keep die one by one. When I find them they are on their side not moving almost as if paralyzed. They feel very cold so I have tried to warm them. They get where they move and stretch a little then go back down hill and die. The last one died about 4 days ago and the last 6 seemed great, running, feeding etc. I just went out to do chores and 5 seem healthy one is lethargic in the nesting box. I picked it up and though not as bad as the others yet (it can hold itself in a weak upright position). I imagine with what I have seen so far it will be dead soon.

Any ideas as to whats going on, or if I can save the last five? Any help would be appreciated. Mike

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay, first thing,....give all the kits bene-bac 2 times a day. Just a little squeeze full in the mouth. You can get this from Petco or Petsmart ( I order mine from Jeffers, but in a hurry, look at the stores). It comes in little tubes in a package of 4. If anything is going to save them, it's probably this.
That will help to start with.

Now what is your brand of feed?
Have you ran a cocci/worm fecal?
What type of hay do they get?

Uberman

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I also see there is a simular thread but wanted to try to get some info fast for the little guys before having time to read. I had two die last night. I could not find Bene-bac anywhere in stores. I was directed to go online. However, found a probiotic and had some yogurt( other post someone suggested that) figuring at the rate I am losing them, there won't be any left if I don't try something.

No, I have not gotten any test done but looks like I may need one. Pellets I am feeding Producer's Pride and no hay, I do feed free choice pickings from my field ie plantain, dandelions, burdock, bamboo leave, clover etc and from the garden I give radishes, turnips, cabbage, collards,etc. The first litters from these does have been raised on only small amounts of pellets and lots of the plants and are nice sized very healthy and energetic.

I will let you know if the probiotic and yogurt help.

Thanks, Mike

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay. See if you can order the bene-bac to keep on hand. Jeffers.com has pretty fast shipping and their prices are right. The other probios products may help a little, but this one is the one you want.
If it were me, I would eliminate all of the extra food out of your garden.
Just stick to pellets, and get a big bale of grass hay. Keep them on the hay 24/7.
Try to switch to a pellet that has the papaya and probios in it. I think Manna Pro has that . I know Purina Show(blue bag) does.

Hopefully this will be the end of your losses...:fl