Help...

Aleida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Got 2 bunnies a week ago and today in the morning I found 3 newborn babies with them...what do I do now how can I help her so they will survive...thanks

Attachments

• 20180310_102534.jpg
    20180310_102534.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 107

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did you move them or did she not pull fur out to make a nest? First of all, they will not survive unless they are warm. She may still make a nest if you give her plenty of hay or straw. This needs to be done immediately. Kits can die of hypothermia very quickly. You might even need to take them inside and place them on a heating pad with several towels between them and the pad and wrap them up just to save them.

Second, feed the doe well as much as she wants. She knows instinctively what to do, but if this is her first litter and she is young, she may not do what she needs to do for them.

Last edited:

Aleida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I saw them one was almost getting out of the cage so I put on gloves and put it back in the whole were she had the other 2 I think this is her first time I also have never seen her feed them I did see that she had been pulling her hair out and 2as around the cage...am I allowed to get them because I have heard that if I touch them she won' take care of them anymore

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you may need to intervene. In my experience, the moms still have generally accepted the babies, and I am touching the babies from day 1. With mine, I often check them to make sure they're okay, daily is probably a good idea, IMO. With the ones that haven't been such great mothers, it may not be due to the fact that I handle the kits. I don't know how your doe will respond with her being so new. But the babies may need you anyway... Check and see if they are warm, like Tale of Tails advised, and I would check to see if their bellies are round, and full. She may only feed once a day or at night, but I would just keep an eye on them. The first day they may not have full bellies, but watch from the second day onward especially. If the other bunny is still in with the doe and her babies, I would separate them if possible so that the other rabbit doesn't hurt the kits. Congratulations, and I hope everything goes well! :)

Aleida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So far right now the mom hasn't even showed interest in her babys all day I haven't even seen her feed them or get close to her I don' want to loose them so what should I do next I been googling everything and just want some extra advice....i have even noticed that the mom is not even showing like of she has milk yet

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are the kits warm?

From what I understand, the doe doesn't necessarily feed them the first day. I would make sure they are warm, and check them again tonight. If she does not feed them on her own, you may have to hold her in your lap and place the kits on her belly so they can nurse. You kinda have to hold her on her back. Be careful that neither you or the kits get scraped though. @Hens and Roos @Bunnylady @rosti @Pastor Dave

Aleida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes I was reading about that I will give her time to see if she starts taking care of them hope everything works out for them ❤

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does only feed the kits about twice a day. They do not stay with them or try to keep them warm. A wild doe "defends" her nest from a distance and draws predators away. They only spend a few minutes in the nest to allow the kits to nurse and then they leave them. This is normal.

If she built them a nest and pulled out fur to line it, then she has taken care of them. As to force nursing, I tried once to place a kit on the doe while I held her on her back...that does not work well. The doe's milk can take a couple of days to come in, so not seeing full bellies the first couple of days is also normal.

Rabbits do not abandon their babies because you touch them. I check on and pick up bunnies from day one and every day thereafter, usually two or three times a day.

Last edited:

Aleida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No she hasn't built a nest yet and I already gave her plenty of hay for that she' been having plenty of food and water she keeps them in the whole I don't know if she get them out because I have noticed that at least one is out at random time...

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does never move kits. Kits that young would not leave the other kits in the nest typically, unless they are uncomfortable...usually too hot or too cold.

The kits should feel quite warm, like a person with a fever. If you place one against your stomach and it feels about the same temperature, it is not warm enough.

Latest posts