Helping New Horses Settle In?

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A few days ago, we brought home our first ever horses, a 9 yo gelding (Mowgli) and a 21 yo gelding (Audi). These guys came from our former lesson barn, which closed down. Mowgli was new to the barn, having arrived from another facility in Nov or early Dec. Audi had been living there for a year or so. At the barn, the boys were turned out together, along with 4 or 5 other geldings. They all got along, but I didn’t notice that Audi and Mowgli seemed particularly bonded, until we brought them to our place. Now I’m afraid they’ll turn buddy sour if we’re not careful.

I totally get it. They’re new to our place, still getting to know us, and the only truly familiar thing they have right now is each other. Also, our farm is quite different from the horse facility they came from. There, they were surrounded by many other horses. Here, it’s just the two of them plus a bunch of other STRANGE animals. We also have cattle, goats, hogs, chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, cats, and dogs. I’m guessing this is the first time they’ve encountered many of these strange beings. Also, they’re VERY alert to the property next door. It’s 400 acres of wildlife area. Heaven only knows what scary monsters the horses can sense over the fence! (Fortunately, it’s an 8’ tall game fence, so the horses are quite safe from those howling coyotes and other critters, but try telling them that.). Their former home was more suburban/rural, whereas we’re just plain rural. Lots of open space, the sounds of gunshots from neighboring places, and more wildlife than they were likely used to. I’m sure they’re facing a big adjustment!

Mowgli & Audi are sticking really close to one another. And when we tried to take them out separately for a ride in the pasture, they tried to get back together. The guy in the barnyard was pacing the fence and calling, and the one being ridden called back and did his darndest to run back to the yard. The horse under saddle was extremely difficult to control, although we rode them multiple times at the lesson barn, and they were great there. They also alerted and turned away from the game fence when we got near it. I’m sure it didn’t help that both yesterday and today were quite breezy. 🙄 Both horses were fine being led around the property, so we spent a lot of time today leading them around to help acclimate them. (We had already walked them around the perimeter as soon as they arrived and unloaded from the trailer.). And when the kids rode Audi, I brought Mowgli along on a lead rope. Audi was far calmer with his buddy nearby or with just me walking next to him, but he was more interested in sticking close to Mowgli and/or me than in following the rider’s commands.

Any tips on helping the horses acclimate to their new home without becoming buddy- or barn-sour?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. Give them time to adjust.
2. If need be call your instructor she/he should be a great resource since she's worked with both horses.
3. Work them away from each other , out of sight (groundwork, grooming, just standing tied) for short periods and gradually increase the time.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You aren't going to be able to keep them from becoming buddy sour, all horses want to stay with their herd. Some are more insistent than others. There are specific exercises you can do to lessen the magnetic attraction they have to each other when you are working them though.
I would give them a week to begin to acclimate before expecting any work from them. Walking them around the big area is a good idea to help them get familiar with the new sights sounds, and smells. I would do this individually as long as the person walking has the ability to handle the horse if it gets excited.
Doing individual focus work with them will help them to see you as someone they can trust.

Some good resources along these lines are trainers Warwick Schiller, and Carson James, just to name a couple. You can google them and find some YouTube videos of their work. They both also have subscription videos and offer a free week.

A friend who moved here with her horses a year ago from Homer Alaska, said she was told by her vet that it takes three years for a horse to acclimate to a major move. Your horses haven't had as drastic a change, but it seems plausible to me thata year would not be out of line to expect. That doesn't mean you can't use them, it just means they've had some upheaval and need some time for things to regulate.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I grew up next to a horse farm. The first thing I did when I got home from school was take a bag full of our apples down to the horses. Then they got the rescue donkeys from out west. They were cute, but not horses. They wanted all my apples. One day the donkey was grabbing at my plastic bag so I hit him in the nose with it....he grabbed the bag and ate it! I ran home home so upset and told my Dad! I was scared he was going to die! My Dad teased that donkey would just poop in a nice, neat plastic bag next time. Silly Dad. We called the owners. The donkey was fine. I shared the apples from then on. :)