Hen not acting right

deena1365

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I noticed this morning that one of my hens wasn’t acting normal. Instead of being up and about like the others she is just sitting in one spot. She is a copper maran and 3-4 months old. Should I separate her, leave her alone, give her something??

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed this morning that one of my hens wasn’t acting normal. Instead of being up and about like the others she is just sitting in one spot. She is a copper maran and 3-4 months old. Should I separate her, leave her alone, give her something??
Depends on your management style. I leave chickens alone if they can still walk around and such....if they are still looking off/poorly in a few days or so, I cull.

Without any additional symptoms, it's difficult to tell what it could be...any diarrhea, wounds, edema/ascites to the crop or abdomen, etc?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it looks like a physical injury then I separate and put the injured hen in a small area with food and water directly in front.

But for illness or stuff just not acting right, I also cull.