1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Herding in Action New video pg 3!

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Southern by choice, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Dec 27, 2016
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

2. Dec 27, 2016
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

Thank you - I never tire of watching these awesome Border Collies. They have an intensity that always amazes me no matter how much I see it.

Then you have our Aussie who isn't nearly as impressive to watch but gets it done since the sheep aren't afraid of her and her low intensity gaze.

3. Dec 27, 2016
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

As much fun as it it to watch a herding dog racing around, perhaps yours is more impressive. The animals in the video were looking stressed by the chase. More than likely they have been herded into that door so many times they would go there all by themselves when calmly herded in that general direction. Instead 3 ended up on the wrong side of the wall and had to be rounded up.

When they do trials, do you bring your dog(s) AND your sheep/goats/xxx or do they have to herd unknown animals based on commands by the owner? I can see where the rapid "corralling" would be helpful for sure since the animals don't know the fields, where they are supposed to go and/or don't know the dog(s) and would likely run scared.

4. Dec 27, 2016
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

Each sponsor for a trial provides the sheep so they are always unknown. Trials are more controlled and can cost you points if the sheep are pushed too hard. Not to mention if a dog pushes hard the sheep will never finish the course. They will panic and head for a gate and you wind up disqualified. :)

5. Dec 27, 2016
    Southern by choice

@Bruce you must not have ever had sheep. :lol:

The dog is not "racing around" and if you watch the dog is also not chasing. The distance the dog keeps is incredible. The dog is narrowing the path and moving the sheep.
    On small farms with little land and a couple of homegrown sheep that may be one thing but there is a reason herding dogs have been used for centuries.
    Sheep, no matter how many times they have been to a barn, do not just come when called.
    If you've ever been around 20-200 sheep you will know why these dogs are employed. Sheep are flight oriented... meaning they will go whichever way.

Most people raising sheep are not raising pets, they are raising sheep.. for food and or wool.

It would have been nice to have a good herding dog when our sheep were running down the highway. ;)

Put it this way we had a goat that was just a dummy, never warmed up to people EVER... we had him in a 1 acre lot and it took 5 people over 3 hours to finally grab him. That is one goat!
    If you have a flock of sheep, lets say 20 sheep on all that land ... how long do you think it would take you to bring them up to the barn?

When we got some of our first Kiko goats they were very primitive from a large farm. Yet every evening the lady put her BC's out to bring the goats home. She did not have LGD's to protect them and so the goats had to be brought up and in, without the herders there is no way she would have ever rounded them up.

6. Dec 27, 2016
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 True BYH Addict

No matter how many times I watch the dogs 'Working', I am always amazed and awe-struck at their abilities and the dedication of their handlers/owners. :)

7. Dec 27, 2016
    Southern by choice

I am too!
    More so now than ever... I think because people have forgotten that dogs were domesticated and bred for purpose and not to be dressed up and pushed around in baby strollers. Dogs that are given the opportunity to do what they were bred for (at least on some level) are happiest.

My old GSD when my children were little would stay with them at all times... they were her "flock"... if one went one way and a few were another way on the land my old girl would have them in a group before anyone knew what had happened. It was like magic. Not once did she ever chase any of our children, ever.

And we wonder why so many "pets" are on head meds for anxiety and behavioral issues. :somad

Beekissed, TAH, CntryBoy777 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dec 27, 2016
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader Herd Master

Very cool. My daughter thought it was awesome. I thought the sheep looked like sheep... Not afraid. The dog kept a good distance. Nice to see dogs working. All the people who try to keep a border collie or Aussie as a couch dog should see what they're meant to do! Too cool.

9. Dec 27, 2016
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

I have been trying to find a picture of the 1st trial we went to. There were probably 35 Border Collies there (and our Aussie) all lined up at the fence fixated on what was going on in the pasture waiting on their turn.

10. Dec 27, 2016
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 True BYH Addict

I am in complete agreement with you @Southern by choice and it is very unfortunate for the animals....especially, when their natural behavior is 'Punished', because the owners want them to be something they can't 'Deliver'. It seems that there isn't very much research being done before hand to find a breed that best 'Suits' the need of the owner.