Herding in Action New video pg 3!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 you nailed it.
People that breed also bare responsibility. I do think the confirmation show world has destroyed many breeds.

I got a call recently by someone who has followed our farm and dogs for years and they are in need of a dog. Thankfully the person understands that you don't just go "get a dog" and what the person thought they needed is not at all what they need. I'll be trying to locate what they are in need of but it will take some thought and time.

Of course we all know there is nothing wrong with a couch potato dog but then just don't get a dog that doesn't adapt to that.;)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
One practice that I have always 'Employed' is, I will not have a dog that I haven't been around, seen, touched, and watched. I did one time and got stuck with the 'Dog from Hell'....it was a female black Lab....she wasn't agressive except with the other dogs at feeding time....the way she would cower you'd think I was an 'Abuser', but if I weren't there she would be all Teeth and biting the others off their dishes and defending all of them....I went to get the 'Pick of the Litter' as a Stud fee from a lady I worked with at the time. When I got there, they said "Here is Your dog"....should have left, but I had 2 daughters at home expecting a Puppy...so, I took it....will Never make that 'Mistake' again....:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two couch potato border collies. I did agility with them for a few years but a bum knee put me into retirement. :( Fortunately they are good house dogs and they have never herded anything in their lives. I am lucky.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both of our herding dogs are also house dogs. All of any 'pet' mentality is gone when they are put on sheep. We have been working with many working dog families now for several years and most of their Border Collies are also house dogs. Our Border Collie just has to be at the pen and the sheep come with us so not a lot of herding is being done.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most that I have been around in my life are Impressive dogs, and have one of the Happiest 'Personality' of most breeds...IMO.....and their 'Concentration' level is really something to behold....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, so chasing wasn't an appropriate term. Yes I did recognize the distance the dog kept. Race around behind them, drop. Move to next location, drop. But the sheep still seemed to be running scared rather than just going back to the barn.

It is true @Southern by choice that I have never had sheep. But my father and step-mother did. No herding dogs. The sheep knew the path to each pasture and back to the barn. All he had to do was open the proper gate and the sheep would mosey along. No running.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every farm is different and each setup is different. Management is different.
Everyone needs to do what they need to do.
You never know, the person might have a bum knee, etc. etc. Making it hard for the human to get the sheep to the barn.

These animals are livestock. They are fine. They go through more stress with hoof trimming, shearing, etc.

When you moved your animals to your property you stressed them too.

I know a lady with sheep who has always managed without a dog... She has one now and loves having it. The use of the herding has greatly helped.

Every animal is also different.
I've got goats that know the milking routine. Some think they know it better than I do LOL but others are dummies and need help. Other farms have goats that all come up the milk line.... Others go PING and run the other way. Not every sheep is just going to "mosey along".

Some sheep I swear always have that crazed, stressed look.

I imagine they have the dog for a reason.

I just saw a video on FB of a BC doing a headstand when his human did... Kinda cute but nothing can touch this. A real working dog.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My old GSD when my children were little would stay with them at all times... they were her "flock"... if one went one way and a few were another way on the land my old girl would have them in a group before anyone knew what had happened. It was like magic. Not once did she ever chase any of our children, ever.

People that breed also bare responsibility. I do think the confirmation show world has destroyed many breeds.

Really off subject...

What do you think of more straight-backed GSDs vs. more uphill/standard/show GSDs. The GSD breeders sites I've seen breeding more straight backed GSDs claim that the more uphillness of the modern GSD are bad for the breed, but they are a lot less expensive than the "show" German Shepherds with the uphill stance...

Latest posts