HERDSTOCK! - UPDATE - Please check in if you're still coming....

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Edited - the date has been chosen, Saturday September 1st.

Attendees (so far)
Roll Farms
Elevan
RPC
Mo's Palaminos
Redtail Gal
Jodief 100
Pearce Pastures
Ariel72
Popcorn Chicken
AutumnPrairie

PLEASE remind me if I forgot / forget to add your name :)

Hotels in the area:
2 miles away - http://hotelguides.com/indiana/gas-city-in-hotels.html
3 miles away - http://hotelguides.com/hotels/indiana/marion/138660.html

Campground within 1 mile: http://sportslakecampground.com/
Campground within 4 miles:http://www.mymarbrook.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

(Sorry no camping at the farm)

Approximate drive times and what to do in the area besides Herdstock

I'm willing to 'host' a Herdstock here at our place (located near Marion, IN 46953), provided there's enough interest AND everyone agrees to some ground rules.
I don't do heat well at all, so that sort of rules out summer.... I'm thinking it's too late to do one yet this spring (or is it?) so maybe Mid-September-ish...?

We have 18 acres, folks could wander the trails, sit and chat, and in the past (at Chickenstocks) we've done group tours of the barns / pens so that people could see the animals.
We can go for Gator Rides.
Cookout in the early afternoon. (We'll furnish burgers / dogs, and everyone bring something - we'll have a sign up sheet if we get to that point, no need to list what you'll bring yet.)

Couple things we'd need to iron out before we pick a date, though.

First off... would a Saturday or Sunday work best?

Is late May this year enough notice, or should we wait til September?

(Please only weigh in w/ your answers if you can actually attend....)

Thanks.

Oh...and the #1 ground rule will be, EVERYONE respects our property / animals at all times.
Kids are welcome, of course... but no poking holes in things, rocks at things, stomping my flowers, peeing in my driveway, etc. etc.
I know kids will be kids, and that's fine...but no screaming or running near the animal pens...they're not used to it and it upsets the dogs / goats / chickens.

(pondering setting up a 'play' area, maybe w/ badminton or some such...where the kids can hang out....what do ya think?)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Awesome! I would definitely attend if we make it in the Fall (May is too little time for me to arrange).

I think mid September to early October would work well....Saturdays being better imo.

A play area and tours of your barns / animals sound like a great idea.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We will be there. Saturday is better.

September 15th is the MD Buck Test Sale and Field day, we can't make that weekend.
October 6-7 is the Greyt Greyhound Gathering, we can't make that weekend.

If you want we can bring the cornhole set and have a cornhole tournament. Cornhole is a bean bag toss kind of game very popular here in Cincinnati.
We also have a ladderball set we can bring. Both would be good for the "play" area.

We are about 3 hours SE of Rolls. If anyone needs a place to crash overnight on the way in you are welcome, first come first serve and I am not cleaning house for you.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I would suggest for those making a longer drive to plan to do some other stuff in the area . Make a long weekend of it.

Drive Time Index to Marion, Indiana:

Hagerstown, Maryland - approx 9 hours

Charlston, NC - approx 13 hours

Columbus, Ohio - approx 3 hours

Louisville, KY - approx 3 hours

Pittsburg, PA - approx 6 hours

Atlanta, GA - approx 10 hours

Mephis, TN - approx 9 hours

Oklahoma City, OK - approx 13 hours

Dallas, TX - approx 15 hours

Des Moines, Iowa - approx 8 hours

Albany, NY - approx 9 hours

Kansas City, MO - approx 9 hours

marlowmanor

Reaction score
As much as I would love to come. I doubt I could convinve my DH to make a 13+ hr drive with the kids to meet a bunch of strangers. I bet it will be fun though. Maybe people need to set up some mini herstocks in their own states. Then they could at least meet the people in their own state.

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't forget 2056 miles from my house! :lol:

Too bad it is so far. I have wanted to meet RollFarms since about forever when we were hanging out on the UC and when she mailed me some mystery plants that had lovely blue flowers.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I have a definate interest and would do my best to come. After a 13 hour drive, I'd have to hand out for a couple days to recover, lol.

Can't promise though, my wedding anniversary is sept 25, so I'd have to be here for that so we can take our yearly "honeymoon' to the mountains.