Hereford heifer eye s weeping?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some will buddy up with a goat or sheep, some won't. It will take time and see. At least she has some "company" and is not all alone. Looks like you have some nice hay cut in the background. Where are you located? We are making 2nd cutting orchard grass here but it is a little short due to the drier weather we have had the last 6 weeks or so.

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is the DE I have. was using it for insect control, just need to know if it's ok to add some to her food?
1506253789745627196534.jpg

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Randolph area
Not hay, just had to have a guy brushhog
I wanted to make bales but nobody would do it for us...
We had a farmer friend come in and do a first cut and got 200 bails or so...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
May not be pinkeye, and may just be irritation from the dust and hay blowing around in the trailer on the trip to your place, but the runniness will (as JHM said) attract flies and flies are the #1 transporter of pinkeye from one animal to another and even from one herd to a different one.
There's lots of old wives cures for pinkeye, everything from DE to salt in the eye, to squirting milk in the eye and swinging a dead cat round your head. Obviously, none of them work.
Take close up pictures of the eyes, and go to a vet with the pics and get some professional input for this animal.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since the DE says food grade, I would think it would be fine to add to feed, mineral etc. What we get says food grade and that is what the feed mill adds to our feed. Not that brand but food grade is the key.

Randolph ???? Vermont ?? Sorry, I meant to ask what state or area of what state. You can put it in your profile and sometimes it helps people to answer questions; some grasses grow in the south that don't grow up north, things like that.

Sorry you couldn't get it made into hay for 2nd cutting. It seems that there are just not enough people with enough time to custom make hay. We make alot of hay and constantly have people asking us to PLEASE come make hay on their place etc and so on. And when the weather is wet then there is a dry spell, EVERYONE wants you there "now" and you just can't be everywhere at once. My son and I both work full time jobs so have to work hay around that and it makes for some very long days sometimes.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would wash the eye out with balshone lomb (spl?) for people. at outside temp. not inside air conditioner temp. I would watch the eye very close and if it did not stop weeping within hours of that washing. I would go to the vet and get the ophthalmic ointment USP for the eye. It has 3 antibiotics in it. I have used it twice on lamb weeping eyes and it works fast. within 24-48 hours. I had to apply 1/4 inch strip in each eye 3-4 times daily for ten days. most days I only could do it befor work and after. It worked well. it was less than 20.00 for the small 3.5 gram tube. but it was plenty. My first lambs eyes clouded over and she was blind. the other two I caught as soon as they started weeping because I knew what was up. somehow they scratched and injured the eyeball. it could have been the wind in the trailer or the hay. Let us know what you figure out and how the cow dose. all the lambs regained eyesight and healed up fine.