Hereford heifer eye s weeping?

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So we just got our first cow from a friend of the family that is 6 months old we've had it for a week and its eyes are very weepy we were told that the calf had no vaccinations or worming.what should I do at a minimum?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the beginning of pinkeye. Are there flies around the eyes? Flies feed on the secretions around the eye, and often carry the bacteria that cause pinkeye. Also, sunlight can cause eye irritation. Does she have access to shade? Does she have pigment around her eyes? Pure white around eyes is more susceptible to pinkeye or sunscald due to the reflection from the white hair around the eye. Also, tall weeds can cause irritation when cattle lower their heads to eat grass. The weeds sometimes drop seeds or leaf litter into the eyes, and this causes irritation.

If it's pinkeye, you can often stop it by putting a cover, or pocket over the eye with glue. A few days of this will often allow the eye to heal on it's own. Otherwise, antibiotics are often used. See your vet for ideas. Don't ignore this. Pinkeye can easily lead to permanent blindness.

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes to all your questions pretty much...
Can giving her DE get rid of this?
How much in food?
Should I get a vet to come look at this if i work alot and don't have time to experiment with options? I live in North East Ohio...anyone have vet recommendation for area?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO NOT use DE in the eye or on any membranes near it. It will be of no use for the pinkeye although it does help some in the feed for parasites and to help keep the fly population down by stopping the larvae from developing when the flies lay their eggs in the manure. DE can damage the eye if it is used directly on it. We have incorporated it into back rubs for the cattle but they will close their eyes when the powdery stuff starts to fly.
Herefords tend to have more "weepy" eyes than some other breeds without it actually being pinkeye.

@jhm47 gave you good advice. We have often put a patch over the eye to protect it from dust/dirt and flies but if the eye starts to get any cloudiness then it definitely needs antibiotics. LA 200 or 300 shot subq or Draxxin from the vet. We have found that Draxxin has given us better results this year but every year is different.
My advise is to have the vet look at her or someone closeby that is knowledgeable about cattle.
Also, ask their recommendations about vaccines, but to me a minimum of 7 way blackleg to prevent clostridial problems. Again, ask the vet but you also need to read some basic beef cow information like Raising a Beef Animal from the Storey publications.

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No definitely not putting in eyes, asking about adding to food.how much?
It's both eyes weeping so tough to patch both at same time

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_20170917_172026846.jpg
IMG_20170921_190027238.jpg
IMG_20170917_172026846.jpg

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Couple pictures, it seams to be getting worse.
She had a 3 hour ride in trailer to get here and he had hay in trailer( wonder if she just got debris in eyes with wind ?)
Had her a week so far...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have our DE added to our feed at the feed mill because we buy it by the ton. It is usually 2% I think, but it has been awhile since they just keep our formulation on file. But that doesn't seem right as I think I took 2 bags to them the first time, now they have other people using it so they keep it on hand. That would be 100 lbs per 2,000 lbs feed (ton), 10 lbs per 200 lbs or 1 lb per 20 lbs. Maybe we got 2 tons of feed so 50 lbs per ton would be more about the right amount. That would be about 2.5% in the feed by the ton. I think that was it. The mill actually puts it in their layer pellets now all the time. So if it is 1 lb per 50 lbs then you could mix it as you pour the feed into your can that you store the feed in. It is very dusty if you haven't used it before so do not breathe it in.

By the looks of the pictures, the runnyness of the eyes looks somewhat typical that I see in some of our hereford cows. It is some irritation, just seem to have more tendency to have weepy eyes. If there is no whitish/grayish spots in the eyes, then it is probably not pinkeye.

If you have the room, you might want to consider getting another animal as cattle are herd animals and are much happier with company of their own kind. After having one the very first time I got a calf, I have never raised on by itsself. Even now if we wean calves off cows, we do not keep one alond, always with a buddy.

Hunt4farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have two myotonic goats that are her new Buddies they don't act like they like each other yet they mostly avoid each other it seems like

Latest posts