Is she a hermaphrodite?

• Yes

• No

• See results/not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chimeras are due to twins combining into one, in egg stage.....there have been cases of mini horses, very rare. Basically known cases did not have problems with repro, just DNA issues. Actual blood and hair samples from one animal registered as different animals, different DNA results. A few human chimeras have been identified. So the offspring may not be identified as "theirs" with one of the two DNA the parent carried. Crazy interesting.

UC Davis did some studies on it. May still be able to find info on their sight.

Hermaphrodite is one that possesses both male and female organs. Some can reproduce with dominate system.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre ; good to see you posting... how are things in your part of NC? Going to show any goats this year? Do you still have that one.... maybe "Zambia" ???? was her name.... She was getting up in age a bit but still was a real nice looking goat... and you know that I am not a big goat person... but she was nice....
Still got the "habit" kicked???? Been what 3 years?

Yeah, Zamia is still kicking at 11 years old. She went Best in Show at a Youth Show only NC State Fair last fall. She freshened with a single doe this year.

We showed goats last weekend at NC Dairy Goat Breeders Association, did pretty good too. Saw Goat Whisperer too, but her mom Southern By Choice didn't make it. We both got our share of rosettes.

I smoked my last cigarette Sept 2, 2018 so it's coming up on 3 years. Still not drinking alcohol either.

Chickapalooza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Chimeras are due to twins combining into one, in egg stage.....there have been cases of mini horses, very rare. Basically known cases did not have problems with repro, just DNA issues. Actual blood and hair samples from one animal registered as different animals, different DNA results. A few human chimeras have been identified. So the offspring may not be identified as "theirs" with one of the two DNA the parent carried. Crazy interesting.

UC Davis did some studies on it. May still be able to find info on their sight.

Hermaphrodite is one that possesses both male and female organs. Some can reproduce with dominate system.
Sorry for the confusion lol. We decided upon that name since you can split it up into two names; Kai and Mira (male and female names) and iirc hermaphroditism can be caused by chimerism.

Chickapalooza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t been replying. I thought I posted this on byc not byh. Anyways update; I know it might not look like it, but she is in fact bigger than the other ewes. Not by much but she is. What you were seeing was the quarantine pen so anymore pictures I get of chimera will only have 1 other ewe and 7-8 lambs as a comparison. We decided to leave her there for now since we don’t know if she’ll try and fight with another ram and we worry about overbreeding in our ram pen. Since we loaded all of the others into the trailer to get moved to another pen with a ram for breeding we were running all of them through a Shute and I was able to get a closer look at her and I think I saw a very small pair of testes I’m not entirely sure. I was also informed that she was showing interest in some of the ewes but no humping.

Chickapalooza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is she a cross breed? I'm looking at the Painted Desert Sheep Society website and they say that ewes that are cross breeds may get horns. Whatever she is, she's a beauty!! I may decide on getting this breed instead of the Katahdin when I'm ready for sheep!
They’re a bit of a rarity outside of Texas, but I do know that they can be located as far as Canada, Iowa, and somewhere else I can’t remember at the moment. There’s a couple of places I recommend such as diamond ridge ranch, R & R, darkehorse, arrow J, sapphire meadows, and circle g6. I think all of those names are right... they are all in central Texas or at least pretty close. It’s pretty much the end of spring lambs so it might be awhile before you can get exactly what you want sheep wise but hey ya never know when you’ll get a good deal on something. All of those should have a Facebook or website, I hope this might be a help to you.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t been replying. I thought I posted this on byc not byh. Anyways update; I know it might not look like it, but she is in fact bigger than the other ewes. Not by much but she is. What you were seeing was the quarantine pen so anymore pictures I get of chimera will only have 1 other ewe and 7-8 lambs as a comparison. We decided to leave her there for now since we don’t know if she’ll try and fight with another ram and we worry about overbreeding in our ram pen. Since we loaded all of the others into the trailer to get moved to another pen with a ram for breeding we were running all of them through a Shute and I was able to get a closer look at her and I think I saw a very small pair of testes I’m not entirely sure. I was also informed that she was showing interest in some of the ewes but no humping.

Our ewes often act rammish when they go into heat, they jump on each other, sniff each other, one even does the leg kick thing....they have all had lambs so I know they are females.

Our Big ewe is the largest ewe I have ever seen, she is taller then our big ram which people are shocked to see the big ram. She is 100% a female but everyone thinks she is a ram when they see her just because of her size and a masculine head. I would give he a go with the other ewes to get bred. If she causes a problem you will have choices to make, she may surprise you and be a masculine but perfectly breedable female sheep. If you are really that concerned flip her on her butt and check her organs, no point in punishing her for something you think you may have seen or not seen when checking is fast and very easy. She is a gorgeous sheep and frankly the most attractive looking one in your pictures.

Her horns could be from a cross out or a throw back. Merinos, amercian blackbelly, rambouillet, and caspian mouflon can all have ewes with horns, jacobs and navajo-churro ewes have horns aka the breeds used to make desert sheep. Per the desert sheep standard ewes are 60-120lbs and 21-25" tall....thats a wide range so there would be size differences.

My giant ewe and our big ram are suffolk. Suffolk ewe are to be max 29" tall and weigh 194lbs, suffolk rams are to be max 31" tall and 275lbs. Due to people breeding for bigger and bigger sheep, they both blow those numbers out of the water and I dont mean oh by just a bit. Our ram is nearly 3 ft tall and our big ewe is taller then him by at least 2 inches, the ram and ewe both weigh over 300lbs. They dwarf our other suffolk. I'm just saying check her for sure before you write her off and miss a breeding.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with @misfitmorgan ; put her in the breeding pen and see if she will breed. We have Dall ewe's with 6 " long horns.... and 2 of the ewe's are nearly as tall as the rams... the mature rams will go 250 lbs and it takes all my 6'6" son can do to hold them when we do horn measurements. They also are not friendly because they go to hunting preserves and having them want to come up to you is just not what they need to be doing.

I am not sure why you need to be stressing... even if she does decide to challenge the buck, he will win unless he is much smaller and immature. So he will best her in a head butting and she will become more submissive or will stay away from the group. I certainly would not waste the time in seeing if she will breed. If she does then great, if she doesn't, then she is culled or kept for a lawn ornament to look at.

Wyndsong

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They’re a bit of a rarity outside of Texas, but I do know that they can be located as far as Canada, Iowa, and somewhere else I can’t remember at the moment. There’s a couple of places I recommend such as diamond ridge ranch, R & R, darkehorse, arrow J, sapphire meadows, and circle 6. I think all of those names are right... they are all in central Texas or at least pretty close. It’s pretty much the end of spring lambs so it might be awhile before you can get exactly what you want sheep wise but hey ya never know when you’ll get a good deal on something. All of those should have a Facebook or website, I hope this might be a help to you.
yes thank you! It'll be a while before we're ready for sheep. Just trying to learn as much as I can about all of the breeds and how to take care of them properly.

Chickapalooza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I
yes thank you! It'll be a while before we're ready for sheep. Just trying to learn as much as I can about all of the breeds and how to take care of them properly.
I’d look a little into all of those places and decide what you want in terms of color and pattern. Once that is decided getting exactly what you want is much easier

Latest posts