Hey from central NC!

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh I haven’t had goats nearly that long. In early December I was gifted a Nigerian dwarf and her baby (Josephine and nala) and the mini Lamancha (olive) I got Enzo, my buck, the day after the does. And my two newest additions, Notre Lee and Norma Jean I bought not two weeks ago.
You have a lovely herd!! I am looking forward to watching it grow alongside mine! I’m definitely still a newbie, I’m not sure when I’ll graduate 🤔
This pregnancy is about to drive me bonkers🙃
I’ve had 6 of my own and I wasn’t this anxious. I can just imagine if I’m this stressed about a goat how am I going to do when grandkids come along😬😂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s not a hobby, it’s a life changing way of life. You will never stop learning, there is always something new around the corner. I have 3 granddaughters and I honestly have to say the excitement level might sorts kinda be on level with birth of lambs! Hahaha

My late husband hitched a ride on my crazy train and was never bored. He supported my craziness even when he didn’t understand it, which was about 100% of the time. He passed away 16 months ago. I sold our 8 acre farm, moved to a temporary location for 6 months before buying and moving again to 25 acres that basically needs everything. Yes, I’m crazy, it works for me.

Raising a garden provides fresh vegetables for your family. Do you can or freeze any? Raising your own milk for the family is so worth it. And this is where reality strikes-buck kids. You only need ONE buck. One. Buck kids get banded so their nuts fall off, and grown out for meat. Take it from me—name them ALL Dinner! You can have Dinner1, Dinner2, you get the idea. You can take them for processing at around a year old. With what you have, don’t expect much return. Depending on size, you may just have them cut in pieces for the BBQ pit or ground into burger. Plus it would be a good experience for the family to know where food comes from.

I take my lambs to slaughter. I’m tough, but just can’t make myself kill them. Otherwise I’d do it all myself. I have no problem with deer, hogs, chickens…..but lambs? Nope. I could if I HAD to, but I don’t have to.

I know these are your first goats and I don’t want to spoil the wonder and excitement. Keep in the back of your mind, that this is a beginning. Beginnings are fluid in motion and never stay the same. You will grow from here. You may want to later think about a couple of full sized dairy goats, Nubian, or Lamancha with a Boer buck so the kids would grow to have more meat on them. That way, you have the best of both worlds. Just for future thought. Excess milk makes cheese.

@Mini Horses is in the process of switching from mainly dairy goats to mainly Boers for selling the kids at auction. The meat kids bring more than the dairy kids. @frustratedearthmother has her own composite breed going on, some day she may talk me into goats. LOL

You can go to the goat forum, pick a topic section and start reading. There is lots of information and it may help. Ask questions and some one will answer.

Most of all, enjoy your goats and have fun!

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have a lovely herd!! I am looking forward to watching it grow alongside mine! I’m definitely still a newbie, I’m not sure when I’ll graduate 🤔
This pregnancy is about to drive me bonkers🙃
I’ve had 6 of my own and I wasn’t this anxious. I can just imagine if I’m this stressed about a goat how am I going to do when grandkids come along😬😂
Hey I’m one of six kids so I understand big families. We will be alongside you for your goat pregnancies! All of my does are due between march and may.

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It’s not a hobby, it’s a life changing way of life. You will never stop learning, there is always something new around the corner. I have 3 granddaughters and I honestly have to say the excitement level might sorts kinda be on level with birth of lambs! Hahaha

My late husband hitched a ride on my crazy train and was never bored. He supported my craziness even when he didn’t understand it, which was about 100% of the time. He passed away 16 months ago. I sold our 8 acre farm, moved to a temporary location for 6 months before buying and moving again to 25 acres that basically needs everything. Yes, I’m crazy, it works for me.

Raising a garden provides fresh vegetables for your family. Do you can or freeze any? Raising your own milk for the family is so worth it. And this is where reality strikes-buck kids. You only need ONE buck. One. Buck kids get banded so their nuts fall off, and grown out for meat. Take it from me—name them ALL Dinner! You can have Dinner1, Dinner2, you get the idea. You can take them for processing at around a year old. With what you have, don’t expect much return. Depending on size, you may just have them cut in pieces for the BBQ pit or ground into burger. Plus it would be a good experience for the family to know where food comes from.

I take my lambs to slaughter. I’m tough, but just can’t make myself kill them. Otherwise I’d do it all myself. I have no problem with deer, hogs, chickens…..but lambs? Nope. I could if I HAD to, but I don’t have to.

I know these are your first goats and I don’t want to spoil the wonder and excitement. Keep in the back of your mind, that this is a beginning. Beginnings are fluid in motion and never stay the same. You will grow from here. You may want to later think about a couple of full sized dairy goats, Nubian, or Lamancha with a Boer buck so the kids would grow to have more meat on them. That way, you have the best of both worlds. Just for future thought. Excess milk makes cheese.

@Mini Horses is in the process of switching from mainly dairy goats to mainly Boers for selling the kids at auction. The meat kids bring more than the dairy kids. @frustratedearthmother has her own composite breed going on, some day she may talk me into goats. LOL

You can go to the goat forum, pick a topic section and start reading. There is lots of information and it may help. Ask questions and some one will answer.

Most of all, enjoy your goats and have fun!
I have tried my hand at gardening. I can freeze stuff pretty well, and I’ve canned pickeled jalapeños. I’ve tried canning tomatoes and salsa, but failed. I have made jam but it only lasts a few months before it begins smelling and tasting a bit like wine (🤔not sure what happened there). I really want to learn canning, but unfortunately I am a hands on learner, and I have no one who can teach me…specifically teach me what I’m doing wrong😅.
As for the goats, Nubians are ones I’ve definitely looked at…there’s some about an hr from me. I literally drive by and stare at them😄.
I’ve never had goat meat, but would be willing to try it. I love deer and lamb and have been told it is similar to those🤷🏼‍♀️any thoughts?
I understand the purpose of males on a farm. And I know only one can stay. I’ve also explained this to my kids. They’re fine with Rusty becoming dinner for someone…just not them. As for what’s best for dinner, would it be wethers or intact males? Or does it matter? I’ve heard/read mixed opinions on that…
I can take my yr old kids (goats obviously) to the butcher myself? That thought literally never crossed my mind…I’m really not dumb, just clueless about some things🤦🏼‍♀️🤪
Thank you for the advice and help😊

I read some of your journal entries earlier. My heart broke for you. I am praying for you. I can’t imagine your heart ache but it sounds like you have many wonderful memories and a great family surrounding you🙏

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm in VA, just above NC maybe 15 miles, coastal side. Probably 4 hrs from your general area. Yes, as @Baymule says, dairy and meat goat breeds here. Love my goats.🥰. Even with their quirks.

I milk, make cheeses, butter, soaps.... and enjoy it all. Even sell some, share with friends and other animals on the farm -- cats, chickens, pigs when any here. It's healthy and tasty. Been after Bay to milk a sheep for a loooong time. :lol: she won't. One day she will....one day! Hey, no matter, I recommend it. It's a special relationship with each goat.

BUT while the ND gives rich, creamy milk -- lotta work for a little bit. My girls are full sized, Saanens and Nubians. Instead of a pint a day, I get 1-2 gal from each. 👍With a housefull of kids, you need more volume...just sayin'!

You're feeling overwhelmed because it's new. Relax. Things will work out fine. Teach those kids to garden!! Before long, a huge portion of your grocery bill will cut back. DH will go from being a "good sport" to bragging to friends! 🥰

We're here to help you thru.

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey I’m one of six kids so I understand big families. We will be alongside you for your goat pregnancies! All of my does are due between march and may.
I’m not from a big family (2 sisters, myself and my mom) but I knew I wanted a big family. I am hoping to pass on the desire to farm and thrive to my kiddos. I think some of them have caught the bug☺️one has wanted to be a farmer for the past 5/6 yrs, and all of them love animals.
I’m looking forward to hearing about your new kids soon!!! I believe next go around we’ll plan the kidding a bit later into spring. I was not thinking the dating time was going to go so fast😳
I am thankful to have someone alongside me. I’m a bit nervous Rainy will be going into labor in the middle of a cold rainy night🫣 I’ll be out in her room (her shed) with a blanket and my phone, probably posting frantically on here😉

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm in VA, just above NC maybe 15 miles, coastal side. Probably 4 hrs from your general area. Yes, as @Baymule says, dairy and meat goat breeds here. Love my goats.🥰. Even with their quirks.

I milk, make cheeses, butter, soaps.... and enjoy it all. Even sell some, share with friends and other animals on the farm -- cats, chickens, pigs when any here. It's healthy and tasty. Been after Bay to milk a sheep for a loooong time. :lol: she won't. One day she will....one day! Hey, no matter, I recommend it. It's a special relationship with each goat.

BUT while the ND gives rich, creamy milk -- lotta work for a little bit. My girls are full sized, Saanens and Nubians. Instead of a pint a day, I get 1-2 gal from each. 👍With a housefull of kids, you need more volume...just sayin'!

You're feeling overwhelmed because it's new. Relax. Things will work out fine. Teach those kids to garden!! Before long, a huge portion of your grocery bill will cut back. DH will go from being a "good sport" to bragging to friends! 🥰

We're here to help you thru.
Gosh!! I love you guys already!! Thank you for more insight…Saanens and Nubians- 1-2 gal a day!!! That is noted and texted to DH.
To cut my grocery bill down would be phenomenal! I kid you not we spend a lot🤦🏼‍♀️
I’ve got a little patch in the side yard that I've tried to garden in before and it didn't do so great, but all last year composted it and worked the ground🙏 I'm hoping this year will be a great gardening year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jams and jelly are a snap. We can exchange phone numbers and I can walk you through it.
Buy the Ball Book of Canning. There are several issues, all are good and will explain a lot to you. I haven’t done any canning lately and may not do much this year. I won’t have time to break new ground so will use cattle syrup lick tubs, just to have something fresh. And cucumbers! Must have cucumbers for the spicy sweet pickles I make-great grandmothers recipe. Been making them since I was in high school. Only got 2 jars left! Many of us here can and will be glad to help you. Like Mini Horses said, don’t try to be Super Woman immediately. It takes a few years to hone that into a fine art. LOL

AMAZE YOUR HUSBAND!!
DUMBFOUND YOUR FRIENDS!!

Before long you’ll be as crazy as we are!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome from Southern Cal (San Diego county). I don't have goats - only sheep. While I've worked with sheep for over 40 yrs herding, teaching herding, and judging, I got sheep about 8 years ago with a friend and moved them here to my ranch a little over a year ago. It's been fun and for me my sanity in the insane world.
Glad to have you here !