Hey from central NC!

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! We have started a small farm/garden on just over 2 acres. We have 13 chickens (11 hens and 2 roosters, one rooster is a free roaming bachelor, who comes and goes from the coop at his pleasure) we have 4 dogs and the whole reason I’m here is the two goats. One male, one female. New to goats. Expecting kids. Pulling my hair out and running around like a crazy lady trying to do it all right. Needing advice and tips from experts.

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A Pygmy/boer mix (female) and a Pygmy/alpine mix (male) or at least that’s what I was told🤷🏼‍♀️

These pics are from about five months ago. So they’re both a bit bigger now. The one with the blue collar is my female, Rainy. The male is Rusty.

Attachments

• 1AF75B3C-7719-48C7-A5DE-872A96959F8F.jpeg
    1AF75B3C-7719-48C7-A5DE-872A96959F8F.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 107F5565-0B93-4B0F-A478-2633B9400FCD.jpeg
    107F5565-0B93-4B0F-A478-2633B9400FCD.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 76

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! What county are you in? I’m from Catawba so I’m in nc as well! Also I have 5 Nigerian dwarfs(4 does one buck) ,and one mini Lamancha (doe)
I’m in Randolph! I have family in Hickory😊 How long have you been caring for goats? February will be a year for me.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m in Randolph! I have family in Hickory😊 How long have you been caring for goats? February will be a year for me.
Oh I haven’t had goats nearly that long. In early December I was gifted a Nigerian dwarf and her baby (Josephine and nala) and the mini Lamancha (olive) I got Enzo, my buck, the day after the does. And my two newest additions, Notre Lee and Norma Jean I bought not two weeks ago.

Attachments

• 0489C9C9-0D18-45FA-A6B1-EB5092456F2F.jpeg
    0489C9C9-0D18-45FA-A6B1-EB5092456F2F.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 8C4D345A-93F4-4215-BED0-25844F3450B8.jpeg
    8C4D345A-93F4-4215-BED0-25844F3450B8.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 9FBFDF6E-20AF-42DA-9100-9D1B6536BD04.jpeg
    9FBFDF6E-20AF-42DA-9100-9D1B6536BD04.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 69
  • C3B63C76-6A6E-4AA1-AA6A-7439A9F2AA84.jpeg
    C3B63C76-6A6E-4AA1-AA6A-7439A9F2AA84.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 9EF5F89E-3DC3-4E2A-AB5F-68B31688B5D0.jpeg
    9EF5F89E-3DC3-4E2A-AB5F-68B31688B5D0.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 68F4AB16-A606-4A12-9B1D-DF0806169E4E.jpeg
    68F4AB16-A606-4A12-9B1D-DF0806169E4E.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 65

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love your name! Hahaha! Welcome from Texas. I raise Katahdin hair sheep so not much help with the goats. But many things are similar.

I’m going to be very direct, the mix of breeds may not meet your goals. If you want milk for the family, you may need to consider stepping up to a better milking breed as you learn more about which direction you want to go with your goats. If you want meat, the Boer breed is good, the Pigmy breed may not be such a good cross. Your buck mix, both are milk breeds.

I will say this, I myself, bought 4 mixed breed sheep for my first sheep. I called them my learning sheep. Along the way, my favorite had a ruptured pre pubic tendon and had to be put down. Another broke her leg, the bone was shattered and she had to be put down. Another only had singles instead of twins and I sold her. The fourth, Ewenique, is still with me, always has twins and is a big pet. She will paw my leg for attention and loves hugs from the grandkids. She is now 9 years old and has a beautiful set of 2 week old twins now. She has a forever home.

My point is, as I have learned how to be a better shepherd, I have upgraded my flock. I’m slowly adding registered sheep and culling hard for the traits and conformation I want in my flock.

My learning sheep taught me many things. 8 years ago I was a total newbie. My dear friends here on BYH supported me with their wisdom, experience and advice. They have always been my backup support team. I’ve lost ewes, I have lost lambs, I’ve shed my tears and grieved. My friends here have shared my grief and offered kind words. BYH friends understand where I’m coming from. They cheer for my success and admire new lambs.

You are in the right place. You will make dear friends here, some you will exchange phone numbers with, some you may even meet face to face. The rest of us will be here for you, we got your back. Most of our friends and family think we are Looney Tunes and it’s so nice to have this forum and know we are not alone in our lunacy.

Be sure to keep us posted on your goats and the arrival of the kids. This is a BIG DEAL and we are excited for you! You are with your people! Welcome home.

Ewenique and her twins this morning.

B065AD42-DD94-484D-9BA0-A77733A17A59.jpeg

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I love your name! Hahaha! Welcome from Texas. I raise Katahdin hair sheep so not much help with the goats. But many things are similar.

I’m going to be very direct, the mix of breeds may not meet your goals. If you want milk for the family, you may need to consider stepping up to a better milking breed as you learn more about which direction you want to go with your goats. If you want meat, the Boer breed is good, the Pigmy breed may not be such a good cross. Your buck mix, both are milk breeds.

I will say this, I myself, bought 4 mixed breed sheep for my first sheep. I called them my learning sheep. Along the way, my favorite had a ruptured pre pubic tendon and had to be put down. Another broke her leg, the bone was shattered and she had to be put down. Another only had singles instead of twins and I sold her. The fourth, Ewenique, is still with me, always has twins and is a big pet. She will paw my leg for attention and loves hugs from the grandkids. She is now 9 years old and has a beautiful set of 2 week old twins now. She has a forever home.

My point is, as I have learned how to be a better shepherd, I have upgraded my flock. I’m slowly adding registered sheep and culling hard for the traits and conformation I want in my flock.

My learning sheep taught me many things. 8 years ago I was a total newbie. My dear friends here on BYH supported me with their wisdom, experience and advice. They have always been my backup support team. I’ve lost ewes, I have lost lambs, I’ve shed my tears and grieved. My friends here have shared my grief and offered kind words. BYH friends understand where I’m coming from. They cheer for my success and admire new lambs.

You are in the right place. You will make dear friends here, some you will exchange phone numbers with, some you may even meet face to face. The rest of us will be here for you, we got your back. Most of our friends and family think we are Looney Tunes and it’s so nice to have this forum and know we are not alone in our lunacy.

Be sure to keep us posted on your goats and the arrival of the kids. This is a BIG DEAL and we are excited for you! You are with your people! Welcome home.

Ewenique and her twins this morning.

View attachment 95802
Thank you! Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, I needed your post🙏 I’m not big on social media (ain’t nobody got time for that🤣) but I am loving being here on BYH. I’ve gleaned so much in the past few days. I am wanting milk. One of my daughters can’t have cow milk, but does great on goat milk, and over the years I’ve spent more than I’d like to say on milk and cheese from goats and sheep. I actually considered sheep first but after learning a little, I figured it was too much for me to handle. Apparently I didn’t learn enough about goats before hand, because it seems I learn something new almost everyday. My family definitely thinks I’m a bit crazy, but thankfully they still love me and help me where they can. I have three strong boys and a great husband and they do most of the muscle work for me, and my girls help with simple daily chores. But the bulk of the responsibilities are mine. And it’s hard sometimes. I’ve considered giving it up. Especially when my husband called it a ‘hobby that brings me joy’.
I want to be self sufficient, or at least be heading in that direction continually. To me it’s not a hobby, but something I hope will someday soon help support my family. I do have hopes and dreams for my herd, I know there will be difficulties ahead, but my prayer is to persevere and thrive. And I do believe BYH will be a tremendous resource.

Your Ewenique and her lambs are beautiful💕 Thank you so much for your support and advice🙏

Latest posts