Hey from central NC!

Keeper of insanity

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Jams and jelly are a snap. We can exchange phone numbers and I can walk you through it.
Buy the Ball Book of Canning. There are several issues, all are good and will explain a lot to you. I haven’t done any canning lately and may not do much this year. I won’t have time to break new ground so will use cattle syrup lick tubs, just to have something fresh. And cucumbers! Must have cucumbers for the spicy sweet pickles I make-great grandmothers recipe. Been making them since I was in high school. Only got 2 jars left! Many of us here can and will be glad to help you. Like Mini Horses said, don’t try to be Super Woman immediately. It takes a few years to hone that into a fine art. LOL

AMAZE YOUR HUSBAND!!
DUMBFOUND YOUR FRIENDS!!

Before long you’ll be as crazy as we are!
I am definitely in need of guidance! I will pick up a Ball book of Canning this week! Spicy sweet pickles made my mouth water!😋 And I’m looking forward to being on the same level of crazy as y’all! I’m pretty sure I’m on the right road😆

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
And I’m looking forward to being on the same level of crazy as y’all! I’m pretty sure I’m on the right road😆
Definitely the right group of facilitators -- most BTDT, with failures and all. 🤣 We're a frugal, self sufficiency, animal loving group at heart so hang on!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!

Glad you like Nubians - our first dairy goats were Nubians and they make wonderful milk. Get standard size Nubians since they will be easier to lead and milk. The tiny breeds that are popular are nice but produce less and the constant stooping to lead them and milk would kill me. If you are milking your standard Nubians they will become very sweet and since you pull their kids at birth and bottle feed, their kids become obsessed with you too. Try to get goats that the owner is milking and keeps milk records on. If they have milk records for the entire year you have hit the jackpot. An adult Nubian milker will produce between 3 quarts (low producer) to 6 quarts (very high producer) daily. She will milk for 10 months before you have to dry her up to allow her time before another kidding. Talk to the breeder before you buy anything and taste the milk before buying. Some breeders might have does in milk for you to buy. Our first Nubian does were sisters that the breeder had kept and freshened to put a Star on the sire. To obtain a star on the sire he must produce a certain number of daughters who achieve stars. Once those does had each earned their star, she sold them to us. She also took them back every year for breeding. Star milkers are miking animals that have been "in test" and have an annual production of a certain amounts of lbs. of milk. Milk yield is measured by weight instead of gallons to determine production amount. Eight pounds of milk equals a gallon.