Hey, Grandpa, what's for supper ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of you must be using an iPhone to view things. Pills? Bigger than a salt and pepper shaker? Really?

They are actually a hybrid cross of cherry and roma

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
back to the top......
You low carb, gluten free, all natural, low fat, calorie counting folks go grab a health bar or somethin. this might hurt.
My oldest sister's 79th birthday celebration/BBQ today.

Them that was doing the cooking got a little lax in their duties and created some unique 'blackened chicken and sausage"...but there was plenty other dead animal parts left to cook and eat.
(my job this time was making ice cream)
what:

Why it happened:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
DSC00417.JPG

A good quality chuck roast...

DSC00419.JPG

Season well all sides and edges with a good dry rub. Let the meat rest a bit..the seasoning will tighten the cut up nicely.

DSC00420.JPG

Generously coat all sides with self rising WHEAT flour. (not that haute cuisine/new age pretend stuff) Do the edges as well as top and bottom. Pat the four into the meat and again, let it rest a couple minutes.
DSC00423.JPG

While that is happening, heat a couple tablespoons of veg oil in a skillet that has a lid and is large and deep enough to handle the roast and 4-5 cut up potatoes, some carrots, a whole large onion, and a whole cut up green or yellow pepper, as well as about 2-3 cups of water Medium heat. You are going to sear the whole chunk, both sides and edges. Maillard Reaction in effect. It will take several minutes each side...maybe 5-6 minutes. I sear/brown it covered and do other things while the sear takes place, stopping 1/2 way thru the process to flip it over, then hold it up on edge and sear the edges too..in my 30 yr old heavy cast aluminum skillet that the teflon long ago wore off of..

DSC00424.JPG

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
While it's searing:
DSC00426.JPG

Peel (or don't) 4-5 medium large potatoes...I ended up using 5 for this one.

DSC00427.JPG

Cut up the potatoes into about 1" chunks..don't slice thin...you'll end up with mush.. Add one whole large onion also chunked up not sliced. 1 whole sweet pepper of whatever color or variety you like or have on hand...Poblano also works well. Chunk up about 5-6 carrots. The big ends can be smaller chunks but the skinny ends need to be longer.

DSC00429.JPG
Set preheated 350° oven for 50 minutes.

DSC00430.JPG
Turn the burner off under the skillet, and arrange the vegs around the roast in the same skillet you browned it in. Any extra flour left, just dump it unceremoniously right on top of the meat. Now, you seasoned the meat, but not the vegs...season them now.

DSC00431.JPG

Gently pour about 2 cups of water along the edges of the vegs..not on top of the roast. How much water is dependent upon how big your cooking vessel is. You'll figure it out.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
DSC00433.JPG

Cover, place it on center rack, and close the oven door. 50 minutes pull it out and check it for tenderness. The potatoes should be starting to brown on top and a wonderful gravy forming in the bottom, all by itself. It will smell wonderful.

done.jpg

DSC00434.JPG

Fork tender.

This was a choice grade, so it didn't take over 50 minutes cook time in the oven. If you are any good at veg work at all, you do all that while it's searing, and total elapsed time ..start to finish including oven time shouldn't be over 90 minutes.

(Now, I've not done it with a chuck roast, but some people don't sear it beforehand, but cook it all exactly the same otherwise, then just as the meat is done, they remove it from the vegs, sprinkle it with WHEAT flour and then sear it in a different skillet and after the sear, place it right back in the original skillet. I may try it sometime..)

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not supper, but a dinner/bbq/mudbug high school graduation celebration..my nephew's youngest son made it out of the 12th grade..

Nephew carving the smoked brisket
brisket.jpg

Live mudbugs purging
bugslive.jpg

OWW OWW IT'S HOT IT'S HOT..you're scalding me to death!!!!!!
bugs1.jpg

The corn & taters, which are boiled in the same seasoned water and pot the crawfish are cooked in...it imparts a wonderful taste and aroma to the corn and potatoes.
cornpat.jpg

There was sausage, bbq chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs, several different breads, loads of desserts as well.
Another good family gathering.