Hey!!! Pig People!!! how many are there of us?

RIRs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok im going to post this here since there so many of you pig raisers. I have 2 hampshire pigs that I dont know the age of but the males trying to mount the female already so can you ladies and gentelman give me a estimate of there age. Also is it better to feed raw eggs or cooked eggs to them?

Thanks its my first time raising,
Austin

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RIRs said:
Ok im going to post this here since there so many of you pig raisers. I have 2 hampshire pigs that I dont know the age of but the males trying to mount the female already so can you ladies and gentelman give me a estimate of there age. Also is it better to feed raw eggs or cooked eggs to them?

Thanks its my first time raising,
Austin
Did the breeder not tell you how old the weaners were when you got them...? If they were areound 40-60 pounds they were lifely in the area of 2-3 months.

My boar was mounting the gilt at about 6 months, he didn't accomplish anything but he tried! No different than the lambs and goats... mine don't even care if its a female! lol

ETA I wil throw a cracked egg to the pigs no issues... they will eat anything even if its off... it disturbing really but they don't care. Mine do not get meat though and love sweets... my mother bakes for them (though she won't completely admint it!)

RIRs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No I bought the weaners at an auction when they looked they had just been weaned off the sow. They were about 10-20 pounds each one now there about 80-100 pounds and filling out finally. My brother works at panera bread and brings me bags of bread and every other day the bad lettuce the tops of strawberrys whole bad tomatoes and other peeling they sell in there food. So the pigs are always eating good stuff of course they regular pig feed.

Thanks,
AUstin

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RIRs said:
No I bought the weaners at an auction when they looked they had just been weaned off the sow. They were about 10-20 pounds each one now there about 80-100 pounds and filling out finally. My brother works at panera bread and brings me bags of bread and every other day the bad lettuce the tops of strawberrys whole bad tomatoes and other peeling they sell in there food. So the pigs are always eating good stuff of course they regular pig feed.

Thanks,
AUstin
If they were only 10-20 pounds they weren't very old. What breed are they?... if they are heritage I would say a month old, if they were "pink pigs" I couldn't answer as I have no experience.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sorry I see that up top

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_(pig)

I would ay they were around 4 weeks when you got them, if he's mounting her I would guess around 7 months.. just add the number of months you've had them and add a month, assuming the piglets weren't under weight when you got them then my guestimate should do fine... in the end its still up to the boar do get his business right.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I worked my way through college working on a pig farm and then worked on an integrated hog operation in Virginia and North carolina for Smithfield packing for 6 years, before moving to a location that had better schools for our children and very few hogs.

I love pigs.

the farms we worked on had 1,000 sow facilities up to 5,000 sow facilities. That is a lot of pigs.

the farm I worked at giong to college, was a renovated dairy farm, turned into a pig farm, and if memory serves me correctly he had 160 sows. This was in Wisconsin. I worked there 3 years, before graduation and moving to Virginia.

this was all a few years ago, about 16 to be exact.

RIRs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking they were around 5-6 months old cause I got them on 4-1-11 so they should be around that age if im not wrong.

Thanks,
RIRs

Royd Wood

Reaction score
To OP
14 Large Blacks and a couple of Hamps - we had 22 until the store freezers were low on beautiful heritage bacon and chops

thebirdguy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have deposits on 6 large blacks that I will pick up the first part of November.. 3 gilts from Oregon and a boar to breed, a gilt and a barrow for butcher from Northern Idaho.. It will be a very long couple of days driving up and back.. Can't wait to get them!!