Hey ya'll! Another Texan

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey ya'll! Another Texan here. I'm in central Texas, moving up to Kempner (near Lampasas) soon! After renting for 3 years since we arrived in Texas I'm finally getting my little tiny "farm!" I'm making plans and scheming over all the animals I'm going to get. lol I've already got chickens, but I need MORE chickens, and a couple ducks, and some geese, oh and maybe a turkey. And rabbits, of course, because who doesn't need some rabbits? And then there's goats, of course I need some goats for milking, oh oh and a couple sheep. Because, oh my goodness, SHEEP. I am beyond excited and can't wait to get into our new home, dive in, and get my hands dirty!

Now, if only I can find some disbudded nigerian dwarf goats somewhere around that AREN'T $400+ dollars. I love the pretty colors, but not that pretty price. lol

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome to the forum. The questions you have been asking are right on the money. It is grand to see someone interested in animals and asking questions that indicate the asker has done some homework. Hope your move goes smoothly and uneventfully.

Are you looking for Nigis in milk or just does/doelings? Inquiring minds would like to know. For example I've got triplet doelings born this April that might be a good fit your you. Two are disbudded and the third is polled. Just something to think about.

All of us here are unashamed enablers and will cheer you on with great gusto with each animal addition to your homestead. I'm sure you see the benefit of going slow... add slowly and see how the new responsibilities settle in and then do more. We all can give you horror stories about doing too much in too short of time and living to regret. We all would love to see you succeed and thrive in your new home and be able to say, "Hey I know @WildIrishRose back when she was just thinking about goats and now look at her!"

I, for one, can hardly wait to read your success stories. May they be many.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks @animalmom! :] I have some time to pour myself into research. lol I become a little obsessive. :p

I would like to start out with a doe in milk, and a doeling or two. Then eventually get a couple unrelated bucks at a later point. :] Buuuuuut I would totally be interested in a couple of (or all three lmbo) of those doelings from you! You're goats are so gorgeous! The big thing for me is them being disbudded or naturally polled. And, of course, coming from a healthy herd. :] I just want good future milkers, that look pretty and have good temperaments (and that don't cost me the price that comes with the show goats). lol

And yes slow indeed! I already have the chickens so I'm good there. Just need more. :lol: Trying to lay out all of my goat housing plans now. That way I can get right to it when we get there. I think I have the fencing mostly figured out. Set money aside for that. Now to gather some lumber up for the goat house. :love I have big plans for the little shelter. lol

Latest posts