Hi! A quick question

StelleKitten

Just born
Reaction score
I just joined this site (followed over from backyardchickens) and have a few questions. I will soon be in charge of two donkeys. I don't have a clue what breeds of donkey (are there different breeds?). I know one is 18 and the other is 4. The jack is 18 the jenny is 4. I think the male has been fixed (what do you call that for donkeys?). I do know the previous owner uses sweetfeed only to supplement grazing. The hooves look nice (I know a little about horses feet but not too much). I will be posting some pictures in the next few days.

My questions are:

What is the ideal diet for donkeys of their ages?
How do you tell the difference in breeds (if there are)?
How do you know if they are being friendly or wanting to bite?
Where do they prefer to be petted?
What sort of grooming do they need? (One has a really fuzzy look to it, the other seems to have shorter hair)

Thank you guys for any and all help that you can give me.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I highly doubt that I know any more about donkeys than you, but I see that this has been here for a while with no replies. I can answer a few of your questions just by reading some of the threads on here.

Donkeys get fat pretty easily, so usually it is not required for them to have any sort of grain in their diet. From what I have read, they go quite nicely on just hay, and some grass, if that is an option.

You can tell if they are going to be mean by their body language. Although, I have no clue if their body language is the same as a horses, or not. Also, most horses have different places that they prefer to be petted, and it varies from horse to horse, so I assume that it is the same for donkeys. ;)

On the grooming, I would expect it to be the same as a horse in that you will need a few different sorts of brushes. Curry comb, hard brush, soft brush, mane and tail comb (I use a human style hairbrush), hoof pick, etc. And I expect that the grooming methods are the same.

If any of this is in error, I am sorry.... Somebody can jump in and correct me at any time. :)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Donkeys will do fine on mineral (no urea) and grass hay or pasture. You may have to limit pasture especially this time of year...to prevent founder. Donkeys can have shaggy coats or not so shaggy. Again with warmer temps they may need some extra grooming to remove the winter hair. Hooves should be trimmed 8-12 weeks if not being used. There are miniature donkeys standerd and mammoth....may be more.... if they want petted they will hang out near you. My sis's loves their ears being rubbed mine do not....usually their withers is a good place to start. Mine are stand offish unless there feed coming but am ok with that. When they are annoyed they will pin their ears or shake their heads..
I would make sure the jack is gelded or they can be obnoxious about the Jenny and possibly dangerous to you.

You might get more replies if you edit the topic to include donkey care and you can search too

:welcome