Hi All, new here with a question...

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My family and I are trying to do the whole homestead/hobby farm thing, and try to be as self sufficient as possible. I started out with goats for milking, but hubby wasn't keen on that.

Not having alot of land, I thought having a cow would be out of the question, until I found out about Dexter's. These cow suit our purposes wonderfully.

So I was on a search for a Dexter heifer, and I just receive an email from someone who has one for sale.

So, other than knowing that I want a Dexter, I kow nothing else about them, so I come to you all with a question.

What would be a reasonable price for a 1 1/2 yr purebred Dexter heifer.

Any help would be appreciated, and hopefully someone on here know about Dexters.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

I deal with dairy cattle so I can't help you on the price.

The recommended pasture for a cow is 1.5 acres. You can get by with less but, will need to supplement more with hay. Remember there will also be times when it's dry out or winter comes that you will need to feed hay.

When she is milking she should have some grain. What type and how much will depend on the forage she is getting and how much she is milking.

Remember you should milk a cow 2 times a day and roughly 12 hours apart. Some will milk in the morning and then let a calf with her for the other milking. This helps with the extra milk, if you don't use it all.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Actually, dexters only need about 1/2 an acre from what I've read. i guess I should clarify, that I know about milking, and have read alot on the breed, but I don't know what would be a reasonable price to purchase one.

this one I have found, IMO, is just a little on the high side, but I could be wrong.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the price depends on if the heifer is bred or open.at 18 months im assuming she is bred.id say she is worth $800 to $1000.a dexter will need feed an hay.as for pasture you can put her on an acre or less.an pretty much have to feed her yr around.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a local sale barn? Here we have them but, I know some areas of the country do not. If you do, a good way to price cattle in your area is to call them. Often they have sales for dairy or beef cattle and will have an idea on the pricing.

I would say however, that wynedot55 is in the ballpark, if I had to guess.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. I am in Canada, I know there are not any sale barns near me, but know of a few....

She is not bred, but they have semen available ( I didn't ask the price for that)

But the price she gave me was $700. She has a 5 yo and an 18 mo old, neither in milk or bred at this time, both for $700. So, according to you, this would be a good price.

We have three acres, she would have to share that with two horses. We have hay for the horses, but not enough to add a cow to the mix. So we would have to get more,--that is if we get her right now. I was kinda wanting to wait till the spring, but we'll see......

Thanks. Wynedot, do you have a dexter now?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
no i run beefmasters.but i know dexters are similer to longhorns.they can get buy on grass an browse.as well as hay an some feed.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally would stay clear of the cow. Which it doesn't sound like your interested in but, just incase your thinking about her. The reason being, why is she open at 5 yrs. old?

If you get the heifer and breed her now, she won't be due until roughly July. I know guys here prefer a spring calving so by winter time they can wean the calves so the cows bags are dry for the winter and the calves are a little older by the cold weather.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
I personally would stay clear of the cow. Which it doesn't sound like your interested in but, just incase your thinking about her. The reason being, why is she open at 5 yrs. old?

If you get the heifer and breed her now, she won't be due until roughly July. I know guys here prefer a spring calving so by winter time they can wean the calves so the cows bags are dry for the winter and the calves are a little older by the cold weather.
That's what I thought. I was only interested in the heifer, but she is advertising both.

I will talk to hubby when he gets home, and we will discuss it. Like I said, I was looking to get one in the spring, so I still have this winter to look for one. I would prefer a spring birth too, so that is also downer when considering this heifer. I don't think this is the heifer for us. I will still check sale barns etc.

One thing I know for sure, is a dexter IS in our future. :)

Latest posts