Hi All, new here with a question...

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
sounds to me like the cow will be a dark cutter.wich means there will be alot of blood in the meat.because she is so strung.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would suggest calling any local breeders of Dexters and seeing what they have for sale and at what price. Since Dexters are not a common breed, you will find they are not priced as low as other common beef breeds. Shop around and gather pricing information.

You are also going to want to get two head, no matter what breed you get, get two. Otherwise you might end up with a very lonesome cow that will go elsewhere to find its own kind.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
sounds to me like the cow will be a dark cutter.wich means there will be alot of blood in the meat.because she is so strung.
Just thought I would update you to let you know freezer filler tastes great and the meat is surprisingly tender. Butchered her calf at the same time because she was just as mean as mom.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad the meat tastes good and is tender. It's to bad that the calf had the same temperment though-I hate when that happens with a high strung cow!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
just think you wont have to buy beef for a long time.sometimes the calves take on mommas bad temper.thats why i like to run super gentle bulls.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a big problem up here with Dexters. You hear of more problems and injuries caused by them than any other bovine. Has to be in the genetics.

Dexters used to be a very calm breed.

I hate to say this but I personally think it is all a result of breeders going for $$$$ rather than characteristics and selective breeding.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have heard that you have to watch it real close with the Dexters because breeders aren't watching the temperment so, you could very well be right.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the breeders will loose their business because their not breeding for gentle easy to handle cows.purely because the dexters are a novalty breed.an people with small acreages like them.

Latest posts