Hi, back again from last year with my FF Goat Joli (Question)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Black and white boer is common. Looks like your mom has the spotting gene(paint) and passed it on thats really great. You will get some really awesome looking kids patternwise from her.

Coats, most common to least common
traditional red cape
traditional black cape
traditional cream cape
Solid
Spotted(paint or moonspot)
dapple
leopard spots
tiger dapple

At least thats what i was told. There is also roan...but i don't know where that lives in the line- up probly between solid and spotted.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight @misfitmorgan. In my avi, its the two goats in the middle, pic was taken last summer. So if Joli carries the spotted gene, the dad Obi is supposed to be carrying the drapple gene. Was just confused on Black. lol But she has gotten really pretty.

Last edited:

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
915526EE-2F67-4105-A9EA-2584BCCED4BD.jpeg
I
9E19FFB8-A9AE-4CDB-B91B-03862539E51D.jpeg
71C6F518-1630-4642-A14E-657BECCE1D24.jpeg
28B1B159-7672-4FD6-8582-D93A3D4A518F.jpeg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mom may have spotted or dapple, its hard to tell. I would say spotting from her ear but the rest of her marks look dapple so who knows. Spots are normally the white/light bit so i would lean towards dapple. From what ive read spots and dapples are recessive so they are hard to breed true. There are also other factors that can cover up spots/dapples, like the actual boar pattern and dilute genes.

Wanna hear something that will really make you scratch your head. Our goat phoebe is from a black headed 75% boer 25% nubian buck, her mother is a traditional red headed 100% boer. Phoebe has never thrown a traditional red caped/headed kid out of 6 chances(kids before this kidding). Phoebe dam has thrown solid, cream cape(dilute gene), roan, and black caped. Her sire has thrown roan, cream cape, and black cape.

So this kidding Phoebe threw a solid and a red cape. Talk about some genes to make you go umm what??

All that aside, your kids are gorgeous!! they definitely are caring some sort of spot or dapple gene. That black and white one is particularly cute.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you. I've had goats for about 1 year, so still learning quite a bit. LOL