Hi everyone from UK

UKprepper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a few acres in the UK

At the moment we have a large herd of guinea pigs and rabbits living free range

We also have a few dovecotes

I’m looking to buy a breeding pair of larger meat guinea pigs (cuy) and also some grass cutters or other large meat rodents

Anybody able to point me in the right direction I would be very grateful

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a few acres in the UK

At the moment we have a large heard of guinea pigs and rabbits living free range

We also have a few dovecotes

I’m looking to buy a breeding pair of larger meat guinea pigs (cuy) and also some grass cutters or other large meat rodents

Anybody able to point me in the right direction I would be very grateful
Sounds great.... but I am no help.

:idunno

Good luck!

UKprepper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I’ve been asking a few places if they know anywhere I can buy large meat guinea pigs in the UK but not found anywhere yet

It seems with all this pandemic business it’s a lot more difficult to import these things

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been asking a few places if they know anywhere I can buy large meat guinea pigs in the UK but not found anywhere yet

It seems with all this pandemic business it’s a lot more difficult to import these things

Also with the pandemic more people are homesteading... so prices are much higher, and homesteading items (including animals) are usually sold out.

UKprepper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is possible to be completely self reliant when it comes to food. All you need is micro livestock living free range. This is the easiest and the least amount of investment of time and effort for the return you get back. As long as the grass and other vegetation grows back faster than they eat it and as long as they breed faster than you eat them then you have an infinitely replenishing food source for free.

The other advantages of micro livestock over larger livestock is that you can keep stealth and under the radar. There are so many hoops you have to jump through with larger livestock keeping them upto date with vaccines and licenses. None of these apply with micro livestock.

We keep rabbits which are mammals and rodents (guinea pigs and other large meat rodents like grass cutters) on our survival retreat. They don’t require any looking after as they are free range so they find their own food they do not need any cleaning or putting away at night and letting out in the morning. We can eat them when we want to, or just leave them completely alone. They need no input whatsoever.

Same with our pigeons which completely look after themselves in our dovecotes we built. We come and take eggs and young pigeons for meat as often as we want as long as they replenish their numbers. Same with our other micro livestock - If the numbers are reducing then we leave them a time to restock, and we eat something else like seafood.

UKprepper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I still can’t find any cuy or large meat guinea pigs in the UK, can anyone help please?

Also looking to buy a breeding pair of grass cutters or similar large meat rodents,

Any help would be very much appreciated

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I can see your point for raising the animals you have, here in USA there is not a large number of Cuy raised for meat and most rabbit is caged. At my own farm, wild rabbit is often fox food. Chickens and goats here. But I live on my farm and love the tending part for my livestock. Plus our laws relative to UK are way different.

I wish you luck in your search.....just have no input that would help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm in Texas, I can do what the heck I want. There are certain laws regarding the transport of livestock across state lines, taking to auction and such. Those laws actually make sense. But for the government to tell me that I couldn't butcher my own animal for meat and use it to feed my family is absurd. I can, I have and most likely, I will again.

I can certainly see the advantages of what you are doing. It must chafe to be under such authoritarian rule. Your under the radar strategy is rather brilliant. What other prepping strategy do you use? Do you have fruit trees, vines, a vegetable garden?