Hi From OH

kerryl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We just adopted our two, 8-month old Nigerian Dwarf girls on Saturday from our friends who own both of their moms. Their names are Willow and Cricket and they're very sweet. Willow is polled and Cricket is horned. We have had chickens for several years and since chickens are known as "the gateway animal" it was only natural to add goats 🙂
The goats are living separate from the chickens.
We also have two cats, and two goldendoodles IMG_20210327_184149968.jpg, and so there is a lot keeping us busy! I gave always loved animals and have kept all kinds of pocket pets.
This foray into goats is new, but I have a lot of support and have time to give to their care. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future will hold!

kerryl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!

Are the goats going to be pets only?

Or are you hoping to milk them when they are grown?
Thank you, and yes, they're pets only. They're both 8 months old and I was thinking of having them bred in January '22 and continue milking them after the babies are weaned.
What kind of goats do you have? Do you have many?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you, and yes, they're pets only. They're both 8 months old and I was thinking of having them bred in January '22 and continue milking them after the babies are weaned.
What kind of goats do you have? Do you have many?
I used to have a bunch of things.... but I keep getting older... and reducing inventory...

When my human children were younger I had 3 milk goats... but then my human children got older... started being gone for long stretches... and with my arthritic hands... I sold them...

So...

Goats are all in the past for me.

But, I had a Saanan, Feta, and she was the best goat ever. Bred her once and never again. She just kept on milking!

We had a 3/4 Nubian 1/4 Boar, Mocha .. she was an OK milker, but would NOT stay in milk a full year.

And then we had a Saanan x Nigerian Dwarf, Mozzie...... I had hoped for a fantastic milker in a smaller package. But... it was impossible for me to keep her fenced, and her teats were SMALL (we bought her as a freshly weened kid... had to tell at that point how her teats would end up). So... I am not sure if she didn't produce much... or maybe she could have produced well... if we only could have milked her properly.

Dobie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm getting a couple of pet goats too but not till this spring. We just moved and I'm not yet set up. Also, I'm still learning.
I'm in West Mansfield, OH.
Where are you?

Latest posts