Hi from Orange VA

dlamb82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I love your spotty goats, they are so pretty. Silver Laced Wyandottes were my first chickens, I got 2 hens. I never knew there were so many beautiful chickens! That was years ago and a whole lot of chickens later, I now have Easter Eggers, but I am eyeballing Jubilee Orpingtons. I am a sucker for a pretty chicken. LOL

We are on 8 acres in northeast Texas. We have 4 horses, 2 are retired-ages 30 and 32, 2 are ridable. We have 10 ewes, 1 ram and lambs. 2 Great Pyrenees, 1 Anatolian and 1 Great Dane/Labrador cross. 19-ish EE chickens, 5 Australorps and just got 2 feeder pigs. And a big garden!

My husband gave up years ago, trying to say no. In fact, he bought Joe, my blue eyed white horse, that's him in my avatar, before we'd even been married a year. In a few weeks we will have our 24th anniversary, so Joe has been intertwined in our lives a long time.

Horses are a hole in your pocket that you dump money in. They live a long time with proper care and in their old age, may become unridable. If you sell them, they may take a one way ride to Mexico or Canada for slaughter. My 2 old seniors eat feed, hay, need care and hoof trimming, just the same as the 2 that I can ride. And since horses are social herd animals, you can't have just one, so it is something to think about. Are you really ready for a 20-30 year commitment? You don't have to be crazy to have horses, but it sure helps!
WOW and I never grew out of that phase of wanting a horse from when I was little! I grew up on base at Quantico, the Marine Corps headquarters and I still remember Lady who was President Bush Sr.s horse that was stables there. I use to go pet her and feed her carrots! I collected Bryer horses and begged for a pony, but alas never got one! My FIL was well known in the breeding/training and driving racing world back in the 70s-early 2000s and some of his racing records were just recently beat in the past few years. My BIL is a farrier. Him and his wife have one of my FIL’s old racing horses and then another who is younger but they don’t ride them anymore. I’d love to learn how to ride and yep, I’d so sign up for caring for my horses for 20-30 years :love
But it isn’t fair for me to just bring animals home with out my hubby’s consent because I work full time and he runs our business so he’s home more often then I am so a lot of the animal care and chores fall on him and my oldest son....so.....yea I’d feel guilty! :hit

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who said anything about fair? My husband caught hold of a tornado, there's no way to stop me. LOL LOL If it's horses you want, horses you should have. You have 1 life on earth, live it. Don't be 80 years old wishing you had ……………….

Start by taking riding lessons. Determine if you want to ride English or Western and if you are going to show, more $$$$$$$ or just ride for your own enjoyment. Go learn how to ride!

dlamb82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Who said anything about fair? My husband caught hold of a tornado, there's no way to stop me. LOL LOL If it's horses you want, horses you should have. You have 1 life on earth, live it. Don't be 80 years old wishing you had ……………….

Start by taking riding lessons. Determine if you want to ride English or Western and if you are going to show, more $$$$$$$ or just ride for your own enjoyment. Go learn how to ride!
I like how you think Baymule! :clap