Hi from south central Virginia

Oldman

Just born
Reaction score
... And when I say south central, that's what I mean. We live almost in the dead center of the south Va. / N.C. border. I could shoot a deer in N.C. from my back porch, if it was legal that is, LOL.
... I have read several of the post here and it seems to be the most friendly bunch of people here than any forum I have been on yet.
... I am disabled to the point I won't ever go back to work for another man again, but I still get a good days work in. It's just in spurts that my body will take. And I have got to go back to work or go nuts one.
... I have fell on jobs several times and the first one was 48 feet and I went back to work 14 months later. But that was a young body that fell. The last one wasn't but 10 feet and it broke every thing up my left side from my foot to my shoulder. Crushed bones in my left hand and anckle both. I have a rod in my thigh bone, my elboe, some ribs, and wrist was broken bad, but hey, I am still here.
... I built things since I was a kid. Now I have to build me a job that my body can do.
... I always wanted a farm and I have the land, but I am short the tools and the know how.
... We have the house, nothing fancey by no means, on 3.8 or so acres, a field right behind it that is about 20 acres and 38 acres of timber. Not enough to interest the loggers but still yet, there is a lot of wood down there. I am building a saw mill with a 18 HP engine that is nearly complete that I will use to turn the trees into lumber.
... I want to get started on my dream and make it come true and it looks like this may be the year. I pray it is, anyway.
... I can buy a an old JD tractor with a bottom plow, disc, and jitter bug cheap and it runs like a top. Plus that's something I can work on. Dang a new tractor that you have to take to the doctor twice a year, LOL.
... I want to raise pigs and maybe a few goats in the woods down there, and plant as much of the field as I can.
... I started growing a garden 4 years ago tilling as much as I could with a used tiller and it did pretty good. Each year the garden grew and last year my daughter made right much spending money selling the extra veggies plus we canned a lot of stuff. I'd like for the garden to be about 5 acres this year and plant as much more as possible in corn and some type of grain for pig and maybe goat feed. I would like to have a milk goat if I can.
... We raised chickens a couple years but we got a fox around here and he was as smart as a FOX, lol. Actually it wasn't funny. I lost all of them but one hen and three roosters and I gave them away. But I am starting over with new chicks again this spring. I was selling JUMBO brown eggs from Buff Orpingtons for $2.50 to $3 a dozen. And was selling all that we didn't use ourselves from 50 hens. But the feed for them ate that up pretty good.
.... I could go on and on but I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and I have the fire going great right now so I am going back to bed. It's after two am already. Good night John Boy, LOL.
Dennis

Oldman

Just born
Reaction score
dkluzier said:
Yeehaw and a big welcome from South Central PA - 7 miles from MD border!
Thanks for the welcome. You are about 300 miles from me. Man what 300 miles will do to change the weather, huh??
It's 16* here right now. Hate to hear what it is up there now. But it's suppose to hit the 40's today. First time in awhile.
All I can do the last month or so to keep the firewood pile from running empty. This COLD SPEEL has kept both fireplaces going and sometime the wood stove downstairs, LOL.
Thake care.
Dennis

hooligan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
913913b5n2izdcet.gif

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
RE: weather in PA - the sun is shining today and it has warmed up a lot in the last few days. Good thing cause we have a goat due to give birth Jan. 23rd and I am hoping it stays nice.