Hi from the Black Hills, SD, USA

Cindy in SD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My husband and I live on 12.5 acres in the central Black Hills, western South Dakota. I’m enjoying my new little chickens so much that I decided I needed some cows to keep them company. Besides which I really, really want Scottish Highland cattle because they’re so dang CUTE. (SQUEEE!) No, seriously I’d be lying if I said cuteness wasn’t a factor, but their purported hardiness, high efficiency in forage conversion, gentleness, non-picky grazing, easy calving, high butterfat milk, high quality meat and self-sufficiency in general—not to mention their romantic history and how much fun it will be to paint their furry, fuzzy portraits... I really, really want them. I just hope all their proponents aren’t exaggerating... o_O

Anyway I’m going across state this Saturday to (hopefully) pick some out. Probably three of them. :weeeI’ve booked my trailer rental and everything. :fl
I’m very nervous. Don’t know what I’m doing and my cowgirl/boy friends and relatives only know and love black angus so I’m on my own in choosing which girls to bring home. The folks I’m hoping to buy from keep around a hundred head and are recommending yearling heifers. I was thinking weaned calves, but they pointed out that Scotties aren’t ready for breeding until 2 years old and that’s a long wait. So I guess they talked me into it. Besides, they said they have some sweet gentle ones they think would suit us very well.

I’m worried about the 5 hour plus drive home... whether it will be too hard on the calves, whether I should bring feed and water for them and if so, how? (water could be a challenge—our most powerful vehicle isn’t a truck but a suburban), What to do when we get home... paddock or out to graze, sleep-where-they-will? How big a shed to build for them for winter...

This is all happening so fast.:eek::eek::eek: Only I’m scared to delay lest hubby should develop cold feet. He’s in the mood now. Who knows about next spring? I’m sure I’m making this harder than it really is... any words of wisdom?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
first, no wisdom here but I will wish you well on your new adventure. I think the scottish highland cattle are neat but have never owned any. and I think you are wise to 'strike while the iron is hot' so to speak. don't want DH to back out now. good luck and keep us posted after you get them. oh yes and just so you know, we love pictures and will be waiting to see your new girls. safe journey tomorrow. oh yes and welcome to back yard herds. I think you'll like it here.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Cindy, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sounds like you are about to embark on a wonderful and exciting adventure! As asked, hope you'll share some pics when you get safely back home. Until such time as the new arrivals get accustomed to you and their new living arrangements, I'd suggest maybe keeping them in a relatively "confined" (read small/manageable) area till they settle down. That way you don't have to worry about them taking off cross country on you. Now that's just a guess on my part as I don't own cattle. But there ARE folks here that do! There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" lots of folks that way too. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember it from this thread title & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

chickadee-ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My husband and I live on 12.5 acres in the central Black Hills, western South Dakota. I’m enjoying my new little chickens so much that I decided I needed some cows to keep them company. Besides which I really, really want Scottish Highland cattle because they’re so dang CUTE. (SQUEEE!) No, seriously I’d be lying if I said cuteness wasn’t a factor, but their purported hardiness, high efficiency in forage conversion, gentleness, non-picky grazing, easy calving, high butterfat milk, high quality meat and self-sufficiency in general—not to mention their romantic history and how much fun it will be to paint their furry, fuzzy portraits... I really, really want them. I just hope all their proponents aren’t exaggerating... o_O

This is all happening so fast.:eek::eek::eek: Only I’m scared to delay lest hubby should develop cold feet. He’s in the mood now. Who knows about next spring? I’m sure I’m making this harder than it really is... any words of wisdom?

It's a well known fact that chickens are the gateway drug to most farming! ROFL Good luck with the highlanders! I don't have any but I think they're lovely to look at. Take some water buckets with you, and have 20 or so gallons to offer them if you stop anywhere on your travels-- and hay to keep them busy... but a 5 hour trip really shouldn't be a problem for them unless it's extremely hot-- any chance you could travel at night?

Good luck!!

chickadee-ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PS. I loved South Dakota while I was there! almost 2 years in Hot Springs, as the Volunteer Coordinator for the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. Wonderful place if you ever get time to just go, take the kids, they have awesome bus tours that go right out among the wild horses!!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello @Cindy in SD and welcome to BYH! I'm excited for you on getting Scottish Highland cattle! You are right, they are so dang cute!!! We don't have any Scottish Highland cattle. We have 2 Red Devon cattle.
Please feel free to browse around and if you have questions, please feel free to start a thread and ask away.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First, welcome! Polled Hereford, Angus, and Jersey girl here. I would pick like any other breed- read up on breed standard. Ask breeder how they decide what heifers to keep to year old and what gets culled out of herd. Lot of people have Highland here and I have noticed they do not seem to breed for good udder. So, if me, I would want to check out momma's udder and if possible see daughters of sire in milk. They are not going to look like a dairy cow, but you want 4 correct sized teats and udder that is snug, well attached. Gravity takes it's toll over years of calving.
I loved Polled Hereford but they did not have enough milk to raise fat calves and udder/teats awful. So, culled them.
Black Angus were from a breeder who knew what he was doing!!!! Lovely udder, good teats, and raised a good fat calf. Some of his cows were into their teens and still going strong. The foundation heifers bought from him did just as well for us in the 25 years of keeping Angus. He is gone now and we sold out 3 years ago, too.
As others urged, you want an escape proof small area to put them in for a couple weeks. I had a quarter acre well fenced barn lot that served. You want to ensue they will follow you with a bucket of feed and come when you holler for them. After a couple weeks of my feeding them twice daily, even the wildest weanling would settle down and follow me with a bucket. Hay , loose mineral mix , shelter, and water was also available to them. Cattle naturally follow fence line, so anything you want them to find, put next to fence.
Always turn stock out into new area in early morning, calm weather. That way if you do end up chasing escapes at least you got daylight and good weather!!!
They will naturally take off running and cutting up on new pasture. Make sure fencing is visible to them. In tall grass I cut a couple passes with bush hog around fence. Had weanlings run through fence they did not see in tall grass one time. They nearly made it back to momma cows a mile away before I got them turned.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to :welcome. Glad to.have you join. I have just three angus heifers. They are just here to eat the grass as I only have three acres. Would like more land but its just me and this is about all I can handle on my own. :huIve heard of the cattle your getting and think if thats what you want then go for it. Please post pics when you get them home. Sounds like you will be one happy cattle owner!

Latest posts