Hi from the Black Hills, SD, USA

Cindy in SD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
7DB67206-CA22-4182-A7E1-DA4D65222B95.jpeg
Thanks Rammy! Sorry to be so long responding, but I only just saw this. Here are two of them; Eden & Brynn. You can just see Cait in the right background. She’s the smallest and wildest of them, and something of a bully to Eden. Brynn is the boss cow, usually nice to the others.

Here is their shed. We’re further along than this pic, but it’s the last one I remembered to take. TIRED! It always takes me by surprise just how much work is involved in building what is essentially just a big box! :rolleyes:
BF4C2A5F-7A01-4CCE-AD5A-909E6EDB2958.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A519020-8AA1-4CCC-B8B4-9DC47CF66E2D.jpeg
    1A519020-8AA1-4CCC-B8B4-9DC47CF66E2D.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 71

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 54126 Thanks Rammy! Sorry to be so long responding, but I only just saw this. Here are two of them; Eden & Brynn. You can just see Cait in the right background. She’s the smallest and wildest of them, and something of a bully to Eden. Brynn is the boss cow, usually nice to the others.

Here is their shed. We’re further along than this pic, but it’s the last one I remembered to take. TIRED! It always takes me by surprise just how much work is involved in building what is essentially just a big box! :rolleyes:
View attachment 54127
That is a very nice “big box”. It looks like it is big enough to build a couple of stalls in there along with a general shelter area. Quite nice for a few cows. Not to sound dumb, but are those calves or small/miniature cows? Highlands?

Cindy in SD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They’re Scottish Highland heifers—pretty girls. :love Eden is 19 months old and Brynn & Cait are 18 mo. They’re supposed to be full size... I wanted minis, but the price wasn’t working for me, nor the availability factor. So I’ll talk to the vet and maybe get semen from mini Highland bulls for them. They should get to around 900-1100 lbs according to the folks I bought them from. I have no idea what that weight looks like. There’s SO much I don’t know about cattle. :hu Hopefully they don’t suffer too much from that... but I’m having soooo much fun!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not sure how but I missed everything after my welcome post... :\ Congrats on your new heifers! They sure look nice and thanks for sharing the pics. That's a great looking bldg you're putting up there. I'm sure you and the cows will love it!

Latest posts