Hi, from Western Australia

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We raise feeder pigs up to slaughter size and stock the freezer. Lamb is our red meat and I raise chickens. Nothing like home grown meat!

Geralie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We raise feeder pigs up to slaughter size and stock the freezer. Lamb is our red meat and I raise chickens. Nothing like home grown meat!
We don’t raise chickens for eating but we do use beef, sheep, goats, turkeys and kangaroos. My husband and I have an electrical business. He’s an electrician but originally was a butcher. A very handy man!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, you got me on the kangaroo. :lol: We don't have those here. I have been tempted to raise turkeys, but haven't so far. We have 8 acres, so don't have cows. I've had cows, like cows, but just not enough room for them. We also have 4 horses, 2 are elderly seniors at age 30 and 32 and are retired.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy - and welcome from Texas. Nope - as @Baymule mentioned - no Kangaroo's here. But, one time I dreamed I had a pet wallaby, lol.

We've got chickens, pigs, goats, and 3 mini-horses. We are on small acreage so no room for more. It's probably a blessing, lol.

Geralie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tell us, what does kangaroo taste like?
Occasionally we shoot a kangaroo for eating. Sometimes we go out spotlighting at night for foxes and see 150-200 kangaroos. So we feel like we’re farming them! They eat a lot of pasture and are very destructive on the fences.
We try to get a youngish one, they don’t have a strong gamy taste. We make mince, thin steaks and I use the tail to make a stew. Very lean and a slightly richer taste than beef. Really yummy. Bbq the steak and make bolognese sauce or burgers with the mince.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome From WV! Beautiful place! Always wanted to go to Australia...one of the few places I'd like to see in this world outside my own state.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow -- herds of them!! Never realized they hung out in that large a crowd. Somehow I can see how they'd tear up a lot more than fences. Some can get pretty large, too.

That many could destroy a pasture quickly. Any way to deter them from hanging out? Or are there seasons when they migrate to other areas?

Geralie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow -- herds of them!! Never realized they hung out in that large a crowd. Somehow I can see how they'd tear up a lot more than fences. Some can get pretty large, too.

That many could destroy a pasture quickly. Any way to deter them from hanging out? Or are there seasons when they migrate to other areas?
We can apply for tags (culling quota) but we don’t want to do that at the moment. It’s quite a big job, professional shooters need to have access to your property and arranging for transport to processors. Taking one roo every now and then and scaring them off at night and during the day is preferable for us than mass slaughter of our country’s national emblem. We need to have better boundary fences.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the way you think. A few for meat, not total destruction of a species. If you don't want them, fence them out.

We have a terrible wild hog problem. We have our place totally enclosed to keep them out, along with other pests. It is even legal to shoot hogs from helicopters. LOL