Hi from Wisconsin

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post ever. I've been addicted to BYC for some time (but never posted anything) and then discovered this site. Decided it's time to get in on the action :frow. I used to think I was the only one obsessed with moving to the country and gardening and getting animals. Now I see there's a big happy family out there--:D. We moved to a 5 acre property a year ago. This spring we converted a garden shed into a coop and ordered our layers. Looking forward to eggs soon. Am enjoying all the goat posts because we're planning to get some next summer. Am researching fencing options now for the goats. Very pleased to meet you all.

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks big brown horse. I live near Junction City, which is near Stevens Point.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome from Springbrook, Ontario, Canada!

When looking into goat fencing options, don't automatically discount electric fencing. Fias Co Farms uses it with great success, and I plan on using it in combination with buck fencing for my two girls!

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the electric fencing for goats. Will keep that in mind. Am also looking forward to advice from fellow northerners (like you lupinfarm), in dealing with snow snow snow.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
PulletPalace said:
Thanks big brown horse. I live near Junction City, which is near Stevens Point.
I was born in Racine and I have family still left over in Waupaca, LaCrosse, Kenosha and Appleton.

I lived in TX for the last 36 years and finally last Oct. moved over here to Puget Sound.

Miss Wisconsin though...spent every summer there @ a YMCA camp...with all my northern cousins.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PulletPalace said:
Thanks for the advice on the electric fencing for goats. Will keep that in mind. Am also looking forward to advice from fellow northerners (like you lupinfarm), in dealing with snow snow snow.
Hahaha.. Gotta love snow :D Well, the riding facility I rode at plows their small paddocks with a snow plow for the horses so they aren't trudging through snow and getting all cold and stuffs.

Think about snow load on your fences before you put them up, electric has the lowest potential for snow load, whereas traditional wood has the highest (as I found out, ugh). There are other options, like a floating fence like buck fence for those areas where digging/augering is not easy.

Latest posts