Hi I,m new. chook pen jen.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I keep having these senior moments , Kitty;)
How about "Temperament"??? I'm a bit out of the stream, sp perhaps they stopped rating that?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Categories and subcategories in the chart

Lifetime Net Merit
Cheese Meit $
Rel.
Lifetime NMS

Protein
lbs.
%
Rel.

Milk lbs.

Fat
lbs.
%
Daughters.
Herds

SCE
%
Rel.

PTAT
PTAT
Rel.

Prod. Life
PTA
Rel.

SCS
PTA
Rel.

DPR
PTA
Rel

aAa
DMS
Price

PTA Type
PTA Type
Rel.

Udder Comp.
Breed Index

Body Traits
Stature
Strength
Body depth
Dairy Form
Rump Angle
Thurl Width

Feet & Legs
Leg Side View
Foot Angle

Udder Traits
F. Udder Attachments
Udder Heights
Udder Width
Udder Cleft
Udder Depth
Teatplacement
Teat Length

Pedigree
Price

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have seen a tv program ,about AI and the holstein (they are called, fresians here)bulls, and their heifer calves are sent to selected dairies and their ease of handeling was one of the things the bulls were judged by, and if they were to wild, the bull was out of the AI program,but I cant remember what they called the trait .Boy do I have a weird memory or what.
My little girls dad is nice and quiet so I hope she takes after him,I will also need to find out his name.

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Saturday ,we are making a yard for them,so they can get used to being here they are not used to horses,so we want to keep them seperate at first,and also tame them a bit,before we let them out. I am so excited :weee

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you're putting them out with horses remember to watch the minerals you use. Some of the cattle minerals will sicken/kill horses.

A smaller pen/pasture is a good idea anyway. It lets them get used to you and the place and it gives you the opportunity to get around them and get to know them better than in a big pasture. :thumbsup

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was thinking of feeding them, and putting their minerals in the yard all the time so the horses cant get to their food. I think my gelding might be a bit of a bully with them at feed time.They should come in for food?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you're asking if they will come in to get it, yes. If they are used to being fed there and there's an insentive for them to come they will. By insentive I mean if they are getting plenty of green grass, don't expect them to come just for hay-they won't want it. If you're feeding grain then the grain would be the insentive.

If you're asking, if you have to feed them separate. Only if the horse bullying them will be a problem. There are minerals out there that you can use for both so if you are going to have it available to both of them make sure you check for them.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How do you plan on getting the cows in and keeping the horses out? Will separating them to feed be a problem?

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I meant both really.Kiwi my gelding starts on his hay then chases my mare of her hay then goes for the sheeps hay,so he is a bit of a bully, its just as well he is good and respectfull around people.And when it comes to lush pastures,we hardly have a blade of grass on the paddock,we should get rain soon,our pasture grows autumn and spring, so they will come in for feeds. :) Thanks for the all the info it helps me feel a lot more confident knowing I can get help from people with so much experience. just saw your last post ,I think as long as the cows go in easily I can keep the horses out,cant be sure about the sheep but I dont think she will matter much ,one way or the other

Latest posts