Hi I,m new. chook pen jen.

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi I am getting ready for the arival of my Dexters ,a 5year old cow in calf ,and a 5 month old heifer calf.The cow is called Brooklyn and she is due to calve in Augest .The heifer is not named yet,her mother is called Misty,any sugestions,I thought somthing to do with mist or to match Brooklyn?.
I have been reading through some of the topics and am finding answers for questions I didn't even know I needed to know. :ya

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
:welcome and welcome to the world of raising cattle!

As for the heifer's name, how 'bout Morning? :)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome i can solve the name problem.how about naming her misty morning MM for short.

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I like Morning, as the winter mornings here are very misty.Her mum is one of those cows that are a bit wild,stand with the head up and stare at you,like you are about to attack them.I realy hope she dosent get like her mum,she is not that way at the moment :fl Thanks for the welcome and the sugestion for a name. :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome

We had a Misty cow and a Misty horse. Neither could be trusted so it sounds like the dam of your heifer follows the same path.

Names: Dusty, Rainy, Cloud, Storm, Thunder, Lightening.

Good luck naming her.

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Dusty, is worth a thought as she is a summer calf and that is realy dusty around here.Now please tell me that these Mistys you know did not pass it on to their offspring :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
chook pen jen said:
Dusty, is worth a thought as she is a summer calf and that is realy dusty around here.Now please tell me that these Mistys you know did not pass it on to their offspring :D
The cow's offspring were good. I have no clue on the horse. She went as a yearling. That horse and I had an agreement, we hated each other. The biggest problem was she was a belgin workhorse which means she wasn't small.

chook pen jen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks thats good to know,about the calves,and I can see that a bad tempered belgin would be a BIG problem. I work with a Clydsdale mare at Riding for the disabled ,and she is great with the kids ,but she will nip or stomp on her handlers if you dont watch her like a hawk.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Many local farmers name their cow families by letter. The A family has names all begining with A: Abby, Alicia, etc.

I always liked to make them either sound alike or have a connection- sometimes obscure:)
Like these generations:
Faith>Hope> Charity

Collette>Juliette>Jenesaique

Or my son's: Chocolate>Sundae>Whipped Cream>Cheri

Oftimes the personality traits are inherited. I think one of the traits the Holstein studs rate their bulls by is how easy the daughters are to work with. Maybe FarmerKitty can remember what they formally call it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
Oftimes the personality traits are inherited. I think one of the traits the Holstein studs rate their bulls by is how easy the daughters are to work with. Maybe FarmerKitty can remember what they formally call it.
Not that I can think of. I even grabbed the book and see no listing for personality traits.

Latest posts