Hi, just thought I'd join y'all

ChevygirlBeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've been a member of BYChickens for a while and thought I ought to come over here and check this out! :) I recognize quite a few names here from BYC as well.

My family has raised beef cattle for as long as I can remember (hereford and hereford cross). I grew up helping on the farm and to this day I still LOVE cattle. My hubby and I recently bought our first home and 42 acres and once we get fence built, my cows will be coming to live with us! I can't wait! We will be setting up our grazing system and I will be rotating the cattle every day. We have always sold freezer beef, but my goal is to have a small farm store eventually to sell our beef, pork, eggs, and maybe some craft items as well.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome

:fl I hope someday your dream of a farm store comes true and it thrives.

ChevygirlBeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you!! Me too!

As soon as we come up with a farm name (we've been debating on names for the last couple of months), I hope to get a sign up so people will know we're there! All we have are eggs to sell right now, but once we get our pig house moved to our property, we'll be getting pigs again. It will be a little while before we have beef to sell because my cows keep throwing heifers! Which is great for building up the herd, but I'd like a steer to finish out and sell!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome sounds like you are enjoying your new farm.an have alot todo to get it ready.how meny hens do you have.your going tobe real busy with cows pigs an hens.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ChevygirlBeth said:
Thank you!! Me too!

As soon as we come up with a farm name (we've been debating on names for the last couple of months), I hope to get a sign up so people will know we're there! All we have are eggs to sell right now, but once we get our pig house moved to our property, we'll be getting pigs again. It will be a little while before we have beef to sell because my cows keep throwing heifers! Which is great for building up the herd, but I'd like a steer to finish out and sell!
If you get more heifers than you need, they are suppose to make better meat than steers.

ChevygirlBeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks!

wynedot55, I have 14 hens right now. I have a bunch of eggs in the incubator, though!

Thanks Farmer Kitty... right now we need the heifers to build the herd, so I can't bear to consider butchering one of them. If we ever get to the point where we don't need any replacements we will definitely use heifers for meat as well. :)

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
:welcome I like you want to start a beef herd someday. This is a good place as any to learn stuff and share knowledge as well. :)