Hi, new from SW VA

ChickenMomma

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am Lisa, my husband and I are wanna-be homesteaders in VA. We currently have 14 chickens and have just finished fencing a field for goats. We are having a hard time finding doelings that are ready right now, that aren't already reserved or get sold before we have the chance.

We are looking at NDs, Nubians, and Oberhaslis. Would like to get into milking in a year or so, but right now just want to get used to having goats and their upkeep before adding additional responsibilities, kidding, selling, banding, disbudding, etc. I'm glad I found this site. I am on a similar one for chickens and it was a lifesaver when we first started out!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome Hi and Welcome from CA.

Goats are addicting. It is the time for kidding right now. Not sure about VA, here in CA everyone seems to be kidding already. Good time to find goats. What ever you choose, make sure they come from a clean tested herd. Also bring 2 home the same day when you first bring them home. They need a buddy.

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am Lisa, my husband and I are wanna-be homesteaders in VA. We currently have 14 chickens and have just finished fencing a field for goats. We are having a hard time finding doelings that are ready right now, that aren't already reserved or get sold before we have the chance.

We are looking at NDs, Nubians, and Oberhaslis. Would like to get into milking in a year or so, but right now just want to get used to having goats and their upkeep before adding additional responsibilities, kidding, selling, banding, disbudding, etc. I'm glad I found this site. I am on a similar one for chickens and it was a lifesaver when we first started out!
Howdy Lisa, Welcome!
We're new too, both to BYH and NE Tennessee. Are you 2 near Jonesville? We're about 1/2 hour.
Tom Risen is the UT ext. agent in Tazewell. He and his wife have Nubians. They're nice folks and know lots of people around the area.
It sounds good to ease into your project, with both your long and short term goals.
I'm reading a book (again) called Goat Husbandry by David Mackenzie (available used at AbeBooks, "Goat Husbandry" online for less than $2.00+ship). This book was authoritative in it's day and still precious. We like Pat Coleby's "Natural Goat Care" too. We haven't got goats yet, but one day :)
Emily Clement, Animal Science Co-Investigator & Small Ruminant Extension Associate, Ky State U. (or KSU)
She works with Goats. (502) 597-6752, email: Emily.Clement@kysu.edu
She's up by Louisville, Ky. and very nice. She may be a helpful/fun resource.
"Boone, Keith Jacob" <kboone3@utk.edu> is the UT ext. agent in Sneedville, Tenn.
I can't find the link but there is a Small Ruminant Course coming up. You may want to get info?
The UT partners with LMU (Ewing, Va) on clinics as well. I gotta run.
It might be fun to visit if you 2 aren't too far. We have a little farm below Ewing & Jonesville.

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:welcome Hi and Welcome from CA.

Goats are addicting. It is the time for kidding right now. Not sure about VA, here in CA everyone seems to be kidding already. Good time to find goats. What ever you choose, make sure they come from a clean tested herd. Also bring 2 home the same day when you first bring them home. They need a buddy.
Hello and welcome to the forums. Oh, you bet they are, As a matter of fact. They are better than dogs if your gonna ask me. They are not that loud. and the food is low maintenance.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We have hair sheep, chickens, 4 horses, 4 dogs, and ATM we have 2 feeder pigs. Please put your general location in your avatar. I'll never remember your location from your title post. LOL

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there Lisa! I’m Denise! We have goats and they are soooo much fun! We milk them too! It’s a bit of a job sometimes, but we’re making cheese and fudge. We actually have too much milk! Welcome to BYH, you’re going to love it here! Everyone is sooo nice and helpful here! My farm has grown sooo fast and huge and they’ve helped me every step of the way! Most of us have our own journals, so we can write about our farms on a regular basis, and then we all read them and chime in. It’s really nice. Then, it’s helps me too, because I can use it as a reference. I can go back through it if I’ve forgotten a date on something. Ohhh, another thing about goats...which you pro already do for your horses...but, keeping very thorough records is hugely important!! I keep a calendar in the barn too. Write stuff there, in case I forget once I get back to the house, when I’ve trimmed hooves, etc. but, you’ll catch on to all that. There are some great free printable records online. When you get the goats...just ask, and I’ll give you the site! :). I can’t wait to hear more about your animals and you!!

Latest posts