Hi!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DH works for a gyppo out of Chehalis (actually, their shop is closer to Mary's Corner), and has the past 10 years. He was a great sport and commuted to work in the hills from Tacoma for the past two years, but since we moved to Tenino in April, his drive has gotten quite a bit shorter (except when he's having to go out to the coast, like he has the past two weeks!).

Are you on the Vail Cutoff Rd.? DH showed me the main gate once, but I can't remember where it was, and I only drive the cutoff backway occasionally when I take the back way home (from Gig Harbor) and then decide not to slog through Yelm traffic.

I will tell DH about the low deer counts last weekend...it might make him feel a little better. He saw several does last weekend, but no bucks at all. He does have a doe permit for up near his parents (south side of Mt. Rainier), so he might break down and bag a doe this year after all. He's not ready to give up hunting closer to home yet, though...but only 2 weekends left before he leaves for elk camp, so time is running short. :)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Amy,
Yelm traffic is sooo much fun, that's why I make my boys run all of my errands!
I do hope you don't have to do a daily commute to Gig Harbor?
I have a doe tag for the Winston area! A friend that lives in that area says his deer numbers are low too. Today would have been a good day to go out, with the wind blowing the way it is!
Have you ever taken a drive through the tree farm? Since they only open tha gates during deer season, Hubby and I usally end up doing more exploring than hunting!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I do commute M-F to Gig Harbor. Not my best plan ever, but so far I haven't found anything comparable closer to home (I work in software).

I haven't ever driven on the farm, but I think DH is getting a gate key, so that would help. Is the Winston area over by Mossyrock (i.e. Winston Creek)? I told DH about the low number you shared with me regarding the Vail main gate, and he said, "Oh, well, too many people up on the farm anyway." He's used to hunting closer to the Randle area (where he's from), where you certainly see a few folks, but not the total crush of people we saw stuffed into every possible parking area off the road last weekend!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
We spend a few Holidays in Gig harbor, that is a nasty commute! I hope you find something closer to home!
Yep, Winston is the Winston creek area, down by Mossyrock! If I ever have to move, that's where I am going!
We do get alot of hunters around here! Most don't seem to venture too far into the farm, so we keep driving until it thins out a little!!