Hi!

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I joined here because we will be moving to the countryside this summer (already have the lot) and will be getting goats. I've had chickens and quails for almost 2 years, and have 2 pet rabbits. I've always lived in the city and jumped into owning livestock (which are productive pets) quite suddenly. I love having these animals and hope to add more eventually. At the moments my plan are to have goats, then maybe a mule. :frow

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. There are a lot of really great active goat folks here. There's a wealth of info, experience, knowledge shared in the threads. Please browse around and make yourself at home! If you have questions, by all means ask. Generally someone will be along in no time at all to help out with suggestions/advice/answers. Glad you joined us and good luck with your move and new place!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and good luck! What kind of goats are you hoping to get?

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from West Virginia! Hope you enjoy it here and learn some as well. :)

And, because of the kind of person, I am I'm gonna ask: What kind(s) of chickens do you have?
~MW

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and good luck! What kind of goats are you hoping to get?

Thank you! Right now I'm planing on 2 nigerian dwarves for this summer. I would like to eventually have 4-6, but since they are 500-700$ each, I will wait until mine have babies or sometimes during the winter people need to rehome theirs (I've been checking kijiji to know the trends :D =D).

Welcome from West Virginia! Hope you enjoy it here and learn some as well. :)

And, because of the kind of person, I am I'm gonna ask: What kind(s) of chickens do you have?
~MW

Thank you! I used to have silkies, but now I have mixes. Most are a cross of a Delaware rooster (who had some Rhode Island Red in him) with Red sex-linked hens. That gave us gorgeous colourful babies that lay every day. I love the diversity mixes give us. I also have 1 ameraucana cross (the rooster was a mix of so many things). Out of the 5 eggs that hatched, we only got one girl. However, surprisingly she doesn't look like an ameraucana. She's extremely heavy and flies very well. She also has feathered feet (which neither of her parents have. According to my research there is also a recessive feathered feet gene which is not very common). I also have a sussex x barred rock and an unknown mix that has no tail (like an araucana but without the mustaches)

The barred rocks in the pictures are not mine, but the rest are:

IMG_6598.PNG

The darker brown hen is the mother of the other 3.

IMG_6599.PNG
IMG_6600.PNG
IMG_6602.PNG

The light gray hen at the front is the no-tail one. She has 2 tail feathers and always keeps them down.

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! Right now I'm planing on 2 nigerian dwarves for this summer. I would like to eventually have 4-6, but since they are 500-700$ each, I will wait until mine have babies or sometimes during the winter people need to rehome theirs (I've been checking kijiji to know the trends :D =D).

Thank you! I used to have silkies, but now I have mixes. Most are a cross of a Delaware rooster (who had some Rhode Island Red in him) with Red sex-linked hens. That gave us gorgeous colourful babies that lay every day. I love the diversity mixes give us. I also have 1 ameraucana cross (the rooster was a mix of so many things). Out of the 5 eggs that hatched, we only got one girl. However, surprisingly she doesn't look like an ameraucana. She's extremely heavy and flies very well. She also has feathered feet (which neither of her parents have. According to my research there is also a recessive feathered feet gene which is not very common). I also have a sussex x barred rock and an unknown mix that has no tail (like an araucana but without the mustaches)

The barred rocks in the pictures are not mine, but the rest are:

View attachment 27546
The darker brown hen is the mother of the other 3.

View attachment 27547 View attachment 27548 View attachment 27549

The light gray hen at the front is the no-tail one. She has 2 tail feathers and always keeps them down.

:thumbsup
I love diversity with any animals but especially chickens. I've had silkies, light brahmas, cochins, BRs, RIRs, and many many many mixes... I have yet to get an EE although I've heard they are quite the chicken! I really want a D'uccle and maybe some OEs someday...
Anyway, yer chickens look great! :) Thank you for the pictures!

~MW
over and out...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from Vermont. Seems we are getting more and more members from Ontario! :)

"I also have 1 ameraucana cross (the rooster was a mix of so many things). Out of the 5 eggs that hatched, we only got one girl. However, surprisingly she doesn't look like an ameraucana. She's extremely heavy and flies very well. She also has feathered feet (which neither of her parents have."

Not surprising at all that she doesn't look like an Ameraucana, she isn't one! ;) Easter Eggers do not breed true because they can't. They aren't a breed and have no standards. But I love mine, I got 2 in 2012. 1 became fox food 2 years later. Got 3 more June 2015. One died from fatty liver disease last summer :(. I have another coming in my April order of 7 chicks (2 Barnevelders, 2 Exchequer Leghorns and 2 Welsummers). My best layer (surprisingly enough) is a 4.5 year old EE named Persephone. She never laid in the winter past her pullet winter but for some reason started laying on Jan 11th and has been giving me a ~70g egg every other day since. I'm :hu but :celebrate. My EEs tend to be low in the pecking order.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!! What kind of bunnies do you have?

I have one polish rabbit and one holland lop x standard rex. I adopted the polish 6 months ago, but I've had the other for 4.5 years.

IMG_6607.PNG
IMG_6608.PNG

:welcome from Vermont. Seems we are getting more and more members from Ontario! :)

"I also have 1 ameraucana cross (the rooster was a mix of so many things). Out of the 5 eggs that hatched, we only got one girl. However, surprisingly she doesn't look like an ameraucana. She's extremely heavy and flies very well. She also has feathered feet (which neither of her parents have."

Not surprising at all that she doesn't look like an Ameraucana, she isn't one! ;) Easter Eggers do not breed true because they can't. They aren't a breed and have no standards. But I love mine, I got 2 in 2012. 1 became fox food 2 years later. Got 3 more June 2015. One died from fatty liver disease last summer :(. I have another coming in my April order of 7 chicks (2 Barnevelders, 2 Exchequer Leghorns and 2 Welsummers). My best layer (surprisingly enough) is a 4.5 year old EE named Persephone. She never laid in the winter past her pullet winter but for some reason started laying on Jan 11th and has been giving me a ~70g egg every other day since. I'm :hu but :celebrate. My EEs tend to be low in the pecking order.

Hopefully I'll get to know some people on here from Ontario. :woot The farm I got the egg she was in from had 3 roosters, of which only one was an ameraucana like her mom. It's just that most easter eggers I've seen kinda look similar, but she is much heavier and doesn't have any "muffs" at all. She's indeed an easter egger and lays lovely green eggs (which she loves to hide somewhere since she can fly out of fences). She is the hen that is white with gray specks in the back of the last picture in my previous post.

It's always upseting losing chickens. I've lost many as well, unfortunately. Luckily you'll have new chicks!