Hi!

DeAnzaJig

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi!

Against what little remains of my better judgement I am joining this forum to learn about goat ownership. :)

I joined BYC three years ago to learn about guinea fowl and now I have a free-ranging flock to reduce the tick population. After the guinea fowl came four pullet chicks who are happily rotating through my yard in their mobile coop and pen producing awesome eggs. Since the four hens couldn't meet my daily egg needs, a few weeks ago I brought home six more pullets chicks who are feathering out in a brooder in my parlor.

I also have two kittens, two goldfish, two young kids, and one husband.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us! Lots of great people and information here to read through. Lots of good information on goats as well. We are in our 3rd year of goat ownership with Nigerian dwarf and Lamancha- goat math is like chicken math!!

What breed(s) are you looking to get?

DeAnzaJig

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us! Lots of great people and information here to read through. Lots of good information on goats as well. We are in our 3rd year of goat ownership with Nigerian dwarf and Lamancha- goat math is like chicken math!!

What breed(s) are you looking to get?

Oh no!! That is what I was afraid of!

Right now I am considering Nigerian dwarf only based off of what I have read about them. I want to use the milk to make hard and soft cheese, but more like a Brie and less like a traditional goat cheese.

DeAnzaJig

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we have made Chevre and cheese curds so far :)

I would totally try that!

Growing up we had some random goats, and my dad made this awesome hard cheese that we would grate onto spaghetti. I loved it and he said if I raised the goats, he would make the cheese.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow
Goats are wonderful!
We started with a few dwarfs but my heart was for a lamancha.... we got that.... then it progressed as we need way more milk than nigies can give us. LOL
Now we swim in milk....
VARIETY is the joy of life.
We now have
Lamanchas - our main breed
Miniature Lamanchas
Nubian (soon to be plural)
Miniature Nubians
Nigerians

We have A LOT of goats-
10 bucks alone and we are retaining 2 more :)

LOVE goats! Goat math is better then chicken math because you can manipulate the numbers so easily. Notice I said 10 bucks.... I didn't say how many does....
Also you don't have to include kids in those numbers and a kid can be anything under a year.... seriously .... this is how we justify our goats and our mates never do know how many we really have :D

DeAnzaJig

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow
LOVE goats! Goat math is better then chicken math because you can manipulate the numbers so easily. Notice I said 10 bucks.... I didn't say how many does....
Also you don't have to include kids in those numbers and a kid can be anything under a year.... seriously .... this is how we justify our goats and our mates never do know how many we really have :D

Lol! This is so funny!!

I have loved goats since I was a kid (all my dad's fault...lol) and now I finally have the space and a bit more available time to devote to making it happen.

Are wattles considered a flaw in goats? Because my favorite goat had wattles and I would love to find one with them. Do Nigerian Dwarfs have wattles?