Hi

KK1101

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm Kelly, we are currently only chicken and duck owners but we are moving to a larger property soon and we want to add donkeys, goats, a livestock dog, and hopefully an emu or two and I want to learn more now, in the planning stages, before I build and plan a barn and yard for everyone.

ETA, we also want to get bees in the spring so I am researching that as well.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome

Do lots of research on those animals, not just to pros but the cons and mistakes too. Plan separate housing/pasture for your donkeys or a way to easier separate housing /pasture incase you get the not good with other animals donkeys. They exist plenty of times and can/will kill your other livestock.

Get your LGD from a reputable breeder who has them living with the livestock you want to have them living with....it will save you a lot of work and possible heartache. Good LGDs are not cheap, 1-2K is not unusual but all non-cheap LGDs are not good livestock guards either.

Those things aside this is a great place for ideas for pasture, shelter and working equipment. You can also post your proposed layout for what critters and get advice on your ideas on what would work well and what wouldnt or would just function better with an adjustment etc.

Dont forget to put at least a general location in your profile as your location makes a big difference on shelter needs/ideas.

Enjoy BYH!

KK1101

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm mostly good on the chicken stuff but I may bounce ideas off of everyone since I want to change things up. I will have to have separate areas for a few of my birds since I have a couple of special needs chickens and some seramas that need special care and I would like a rooster area because I am a little rooster heavy but I like all of my guys. We are currently near Charlotte, NC but we will be moving near Columbia, SC within the next year. I hope to build one structure with separate living accomodations. Since we live near a big city right now we have lots of coyotes as well as fox, stray/un fenced dogs, hawks, owls, and a pair of eagles so my chickens are all in a covered run. I would like for them to have much more freedom after we move because they are so much happier when they can eat bugs and grass. I am a total novice with anything except for my chickens and ducks but my 18 year old volunteers with Carolina Waterfowl Rescue so she has experience with donkeys, emu, and the two cows there as well as all kinds of birds and waterfowl.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good base to start with then.

I was meaning layouts/ideas for when you move to your new place and need to start fencing/sheltering all the new stuff you want to get. Either way we are happy to have you and hope you enjoy the forum!

KK1101

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good base to start with then.

I was meaning layouts/ideas for when you move to your new place and need to start fencing/sheltering all the new stuff you want to get. Either way we are happy to have you and hope you enjoy the forum!
I will definitely need layout ideas. I have lots of wants and zero artistic ability to translate my ideas to paper.

Latest posts