Hickoryneck Farm, It's second chance

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Virginia, USA . One day it's hot as all get out next its cool. One month drought next month 25" of rain :lol:
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
4 I have 2 kids 6 and 9. Married to my first and only boyfriend/love for almost 10 years now.
3. How would you define your farm?
My dream.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Produce 100% of the food needed for my family and animals.
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Yes,Yes,Yes, I am a contractors daughter so I have skills ;)
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
NO but hubby can.
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
My father he is as bad as me we both love animals
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
Goats,Poultry,Gardening I have the knowledge to handle it all but always want to learn more
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
You never know what I might get in to :p
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
YES YES YES
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
In my Farm dreaming of a bigger garden, orchard, herd and flock
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor but don't stand in front of me, Hubby can drive any and everything
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
From time to time yes. I love teaching children how to make things it is a useful skill that is lost in this modern world
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes. I have 8 Dairy Goats,100 Chickens,7 Turkeys, 27 Ducks, 2 Geese, 15 Guineas, 3 Rabbits, A feeder pig 2 dogs and 4 cats.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
I own one but the tools are missing :(. If I had the tools I could figure it out
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
YES. Everything edible
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Yes. Bait.
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
We own 8.55 acres in the country
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
I am a expert in my own world :D
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Poultry
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
I believe there should be a degree in common sense many people I know need to take that one. I have no use for skoolen
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
Yes I love working with wood
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Yes I am very interested in herbal medicine for people and critters
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Here!
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
We have in the past used wood stoves, and we built an outside firepit grill thing for cooking the food taste so good and it is nice not having to buy charcoal or propane
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
The Charmed Witches(my favorite show I watch all the reruns)
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
My children are, Hubby tolerates them for me (sure sign of true love) but they are growing on him
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
NO I do not like cooking. Yes, Yes, Yes.
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
I have had many best. And a few worst but the worst of the worst was when I was 11 I once had some Rosecomb Bantams I loved them so much and showed them they were my favorites well one day something chewed through 1/2" plywood and killed them all it broke my heart I can't bring myself to buy any more rosecombs
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Yes we hunt alot we have one freezer that is mostly deer meat. and I will forage for stuff to feed my critters
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
I have many old school skills that most people my age never even think of
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
Yes I do and enjoy it
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
No but it a dream of mine wish we could afford to go off the grid
35 What is on your to do list?
Oh my that's a big one don't know were I would start
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No but it's the goal
37. In what do you trust?
My family and god
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
I fix everything I can when ever I can
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
I don't know I've always had animals so don't notice any difference

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The reason I titled this post Hickoryneck farm It's second chance is because I grew up here my parents bought this place when I was born and I grew up here raising Dairy/meat/mini goats and every kind of poultry rabbits pot bellied pigs etc. I moved away from home 10 years ago and my little sister a few years later my parents tried to keep things going here but it got to be a bit much for them they wanted to leave and talked about selling it to me but felt tied down then on 4-3-10 my sister was getting married we were all at the church 4 miles away the wedding was over and everyone headed down stairs for the reception then I got the call that my parents house was on fire it burnt to the ground everything was gone. It was a rough couple of months my hubby and I worked here every day sifting through the ashes and then cleaning up the debris. Well my parents couldn't start over here so they sold it to us we bought a new trailer and have been remodeling the barns fixing fences etc. it has been a unique experience and we are all happier now in our new lives my parents are traveling and enjoying not being tied down. I am so happy to have this place and my husband is helping me to make it the way I always dreamed it could be I love that my children can grow up playing in the same stream and fields I did as a child :)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Some times great blessings come from what appears to be a disaster at the time. Sounds like more of a new beginning than a second chance.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Some times great blessings come from what appears to be a disaster at the time. Sounds like more of a new beginning than a second chance.
X2

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
kstaven said:
X2
x3

Looking forward to reading your journal :)

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wrote a big reply the other day and must have pushed the wrong button :rolleyes:.

Spent this weekend cleaning my coops and separated the breeds back out so I can see if I need to sell any more birds. Cleaned out the hay feeder and hubby used the tractor to clean under it and moved the big pile of sticks that we stacked up after the hurricane came through. The goat pens are handleing the rains well but the poor ducks and chickens I am going to get sand for the chicken runs and mulch for the duck runs. We cleaned the Pig pen on friday and it now looks just as bad as it did so we are planning on getting wood chips to fill it up so hopefully the poor pig can have a dry place this winter I am so glad we built the pen with a large gate so the tractor could get in to clean it out only took 15 mins :D . A friend gave me her Muscovy ducks and I am still alive :lol: I thought for sure I would get shot by my husband but he took it well He didn't like my 2 bunnies I bought last weekend though he chewed me out for that one :/ . It seems I get in lots of trouble for bringing home critters I went in february to buy a goat kid and came home with 2 I told hubby the second was a valentine's day gift for him he didn't buy that story at all. I went to a poultry swap in April and it would have been a very profitable day if I hadn't bought a goat there too. I'm sure none of you have ever done that :lol:. I love my creatures so much I really do believe that animals are the best therapist in the world I mean who can't be happy holding a new born goat kid. I also think raising animals as a child helped prepare me for motherhood I know it may sound weird.

I am hoping things will dry out here so I can finish painting my barns we didn't do any painting this summer because it was so hot I have 3 barns that are painted on 2 or 3 sides (the ones that face the house) and it would be nice to finish them

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am sure you aren't the only one on here that brings home extra critters. :p I always "talk" the husband into 1 new animal and then I come home with 2 or 3 and simply explain how it was a "better deal" money wise if I got more than one. He pretends to believe me. :D

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
daisychick said:
I am sure you aren't the only one on here that brings home extra critters. :p I always "talk" the husband into 1 new animal and then I come home with 2 or 3 and simply explain how it was a "better deal" money wise if I got more than one. He pretends to believe me. :D
I called him from the swap in april and said a friend had some kids for sale and asked if he would kill me if I bought one he said he would have to think about so I told my friend I was good and walked straight over to buy one :D. I have actually bought a lot of chickens this year and he doesn't even know since I have so many I just snuck the new ones in, I did get caught when I ordered some ducklings they were here for 2 months and he just thought they were pekins then one day he noticed they were not white I was caught and he chewed me out but since my critters are paying for them selves he can't say but so much and mostly just rolls his eyes

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We finally got the sand for the chicken runs it is great not one speck of mud in sight I have down a 4" layer of it.

I have to mix goat feed today and clean out my milk barn :p not my favorite thing to do but it must be done.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
daisychick said:
Yeah, women always bringing home extra animals. :p

Latest posts