HiDeHo from North Idaho

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HI! I am so excited to have found you all! Just stumbled in but plan on takin' my boots off and stayin' awhile!! (My gran taught us to NEVER track "barn dirt", or any other kind, into the house!) That being said it brings up the fact that I am old-school, if you will. I was raised on farms and ranches in North Idaho where we grew our own food, meat included. I have been around cows, horses, chickens, rabbits, pigs, goats and a few sheep most of my life, just not all at the same time. The breeding, raising and butchering of animals is just a part of life, and one that I strive to always learn more of. I want to take care of my herds in the best way possible, in all the cycles of life.
My current herds consist of 8 Black Sexlink hens, 4 meat rabbits (2 Checkered GiantX doe rabbits, 1 D'ArgentXCheckered? doe rabbit, 1 Silver Fox Buck rabbit) and the neighbor's sheep. My avatar is Marvin, a 2016 bummer lamb I raised on a bottle. The sheep are a meat cross, I will check on breeding... and there are 9 lambs this year. Last but not least is my inside herd, Nelson, a 9 month old Fox (Tortoise) Otter Lionhead buck.
Throw 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 fishtanks, 1 chinchilla and a husband in with a dash of humor and make 1 LocoYokel family!
I look forward to reading all of the insight that other members have gained over their collective years of raising critters and hope I might be able to add some of my own.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio - sounds like a busy place there!
Thank you norseofcourse, and not so much busy as it could be... I have had some practice so most things go smooth! (Notice the MOST in there? LOLOL)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from Indiana!
We raise meat rabbits, and plan to settle down in the future on our own place and add a couple feeder calves and some chickens to the mix.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!....:frow
Glad ya decided to join us and be a member of the "Herd". We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats on 20acres here. There is a ton of info in the Forums and Threads already, so if ya have a question, comment, or advice just feel free to post away. We all love pics, so if ya wish to share any with us feel free to do that too.....again. :welcome

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Do you like to garden? If so, click on www.theeasygarden.com (link on right of this page) sister site to BYH and go join up. There are other north Idaho members there, say hello to everybody. Hope to hear more about your homestead and animal adventures!

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tilda, Suki and FurNando, no pic of Ella yet but she could be Suki's twin.
DSCF0026 (2).JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0030.JPG

Tilda had her babies! 7 new bunz in the box! Suki is due too but is making me wait... 'Nando is the baby daddy for these two does.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just an idea... cause it looks like you're going to have a LOT of traffic... :D You should start a journal rather than doing all this in the new member post. just go here: https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/members-backyardherds-journals.18/ At the top on the right, click the tab that says "Post New Thread", for the thread title it MUST start with your screen name, then whatever you'd like to call it, then post away! Looking forward to reading and following! :D

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you Latestarter! I have been looking for the proper place to post, was just getting ready to ask for help! :)

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome from the Great Lone Star State! Love your buck's name FurNando. HA, makes me chuckle. The VP Pence's family has a pet bunny whose name is Marlon Bundo. Fun with the language.

Look forward to reading all your adventures in your journal.