High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Market kid. My neighbor's children are showing a wether and a doe kid. Wether is disbudded, but doeling is not. They will "tip" her horns before the show.

I was surprised when they brought home a horned goat, but they assured me it was ok. I looked up the rules and sure enough....

Rule 5:

5. Goats must be dehorned or tipped prior to arrival at the fairgrounds. If tipped, horns must be no smaller than the diameter of a dime. Tipping of horns will not be allowed on fairgrounds.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I disbudded all mine and showed them but that was a long time ago. The Boer people like the horns on the Boers. I don't like horns - I got stabbed in the leg by a Pygmy, and one of my Boers with horns got caught in a heavy metal feeder and pulled it over on herself. Thought she was a goner before I could get her out and the feeder upright again, but she survived.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Against all odds Gus Gus is still alive. Today when I went to adjust him on his bales he got his legs under him and stood for a second before falling over. I decided to try a little physical therapy with him and wrapped my belt around his chest and stood him up again and held the belt to take some of the weight off. He could stand! And we walked a little with me supporting him because he staggered all over like a drunk( which isn’t far fetched, he had a beer in him. You find some interesting articles on the internet.). We walked over to the water and he got himself his first drink without a drench gun since Tuesday. After about 20 minutes of me holding him up I figured we’d go back to the shade and lay him down and he could relax but when I pulled the belt he stayed standing and started wandering after the ewes. He’s been up for a couple hours now. He walks slow and he’s fallen twice. When he goes down I’ve had to pick him back onto his feet and then he’s going again. He gets himself drinks and goes and eats with the other ewes. I don’t believe he’s out of the woods yet but this has been the best day he’s had in almost a week.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
1713984548713.gif