High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I got two great bits of news today. First a rancher buddy of mine called to tell me his wife is making him put in a new fence around the home place (she wants metal) so if I'll help with the fence and haul off all of the old post wjhich are still in good shape I can have them to build my own fence! Also the county signed off on my plans for a wood burning stove in my kitchen/living room. Fun part about where we're at it's 100+ all summer and then it drops to -10 in the winter. Out here we only had an old propane furnace which killed my pocket book. Our first winter we installed a stove in the unfinished basement where it wouldn't take up space but the heat just doesn't make it upstairs despite all our tricks. So that will be a nice addition. We also got two young cats from a friend that I somehow got talked into. I swore we wouldn't get more cats after the kitten incident of 2016 but fingers crossed this time I guess.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is great news on the fence! I am a self confessed scrounger. I collected lumber, used tin, telephone poles, we couldn't park either vehicle in the double garage at our old house! We bought this place (8 acres) and had to start from scratch with fencing, chicken coops, barn, the works. My husband doesn't make fun of me any more!

If you have a large lumber yard in your area, they often have cull or reject lumber and plywood that you can buy at a discount. Our barn is 36'x36' and is built almost entirely of used and cull materials. We had to buy 22 brand new 2x6x20 for rafters and all new roof decking. I had used tin, but not enough, so we sucked it up and bought all new tin.

So my point is, you can "find" materials, buy "deals" when you can and you will accumulate enough to build sheds, a barn, the things you need. I have been known to dumpster dive in the big construction boxes and haul out some really nice (to me) lumber with the added bonus of lots of nails that provided me with hours of entertainment of pulling them out. :)

The county had to approve/give permission for you to install a wood burning heater in your home? :thIs it because of a building permit or something? I'd like to see the county tell me I could or couldn't have a wood burning heater in my own home. I'd install one, hang a COME AND TAKE IT flag out front and sit out on the porch with a shotgun. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0861.JPG
I enjoy getting building materials at discount prices myself. I actually built my duck coop using all reclaimed materials. We also saved everything we could from the walls I had to tear out for this stove.
Unfortunately we do have to get permission from the county or our home owners insurance won't cover anything in the event of a fire. Otherwise I'd be right there with you with the shotgun idea.

I have more pallets I've got to break down and I'm gonna use to cover up my mouse eaten osb and I've since covered the roof with some rubber mats I got from work. I'm keeping my eye out for some scrap metal roofing but around here that is like gold.
IMG_0863.JPG

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice duck coop, I bet they like it! I hate having to pay full price. Sounds like the county has a back door deal with the insurance companies, a wood heater is an improvement, so it should be taxed! We are fortunate in that respect. Our taxes are frozen because my husband is over 65. So all the improvements we have made don't go against our taxes. We never pulled a permit for a darn thing.

Something else you might look at, a lot of industrial type companies use wood shipping crates. Sometimes you can get the used crates for free.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_1180.JPG
Well when it rains it pours. It's been a minute since my last post but it has been crazy around here. I was supposed to be gathering cows last week but Jack wound up lame so I've had to put some attention to that. He's coming along but he probably won't be good to go until after we're done bringing cows off the mountain so I might miss out this year. Add sick pigs and kids to that and it's been a mad house. Once I get past this chest cold my children have shared with me though I do plan on finishing my hearth for the stove and starting in my new fence while the weather allows.
I don't suppose anyone knows a magic cure for a lingering chest cold (rest isn't really an option)

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 184

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might rethink it and consider allergies. I have heard of plenty of folks lately getting allergies that never had em before. Some of the 24 hr nasal allergy meds work well, then just use something periodically for cough or mucus. I like hot mint tea and Vicks mentho rub on my chest. Maybe a good shot of whiskey before bed.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Jack, sure hope he heals for ya quickly and has no lasting effects. The hearth is looking good. I can't count the number of nites my Mom gooped Vicks vapor rub on my chest. If it is a deep chest cold, it maybe worth going to the Doc....ya sure don't want it to turn to pneumonia....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Emergen C I buy it at Walmart. I use 2-3 packets in water. Hint; it fizzes up and will over flow the glass. Use very little water, stir the packets until it quits fizzing, then add a little more. I don't fill the cup or glass, it makes it more to drink and it ain't that great of a taste. Take it 3 times a day and like @Pastor Dave said, a shot of whiskey or a hot toddy before bed.