High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cowboy is about to get fussed at! A LOT!

If it hurts his feelings to be fussed at, it should work. Trip can't stand it for me to be unhappy with him, but we're talking about a 3 year old dog, it took some time to get here from a goofy puppy. LOL

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That’s a very large dog to be jumping a fence like that. When I put Dixie back you could tell she knew she’d been naughty but I feel a little better knowing there’s a little reminder around the top of her run

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I forgot something crucial to my whole hot wire around the top of the dog run idea. I was in a hurry lining the top of the run yesterday and so I didn’t test it like I should have, just assuming that I had done it right and ran off to take care of some other errands. I get a call this morning from my wife saying Dixie is out again! She watched her through the window just jump out and start chasing one of the cats. The wire hadn’t even phased her! So I’m sitting here at lunch and it hits me what I’ve done wrong. I put hardware cloth covered with rubber mats all the way around the bottom of my dog run so that they can’t dig out but it’s insulating the run so that it won’t complete the circuit with my ground rods! So first thing when I get home I guess is ground that dog run out. Lesson learned: even if your in a hurry always take that extra moment to insure it worked

Last edited:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Jacks hoof is doing a lot better and he seems pretty comfortable now. Now I just have to pull his front shoes now that he can comfortably stand.
Dixie doesn’t try to jump out anymore I believe her experience has wisened her up to it. Maybe I shoulda put it around the base when I had a digging problem
Ducks are molting everywhere it looks like a pillow fight happened I was slightly nervous at first with so many feathers but everyone seems fat and happy. I should be getting eggs soon. I hope. I keep checking everyday a little excited and then it’s a let down. Does a watched duck ever lay?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Watched chickens don't lay that's for sure! Not sure about ducks, both of my adults ended up being male.
Bummer about the abscessed hoof, waiting for those to grow out sucks. My mare apparently had one before I bought her, and it just grew out enough that the hoof wall broke off. I don't like how it broke so I'm a bit remiss to trim on that hoof just yet, even though it's uneven.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So it’s been a crazy busy week with pretty much every day after work being devoted to working on everything besides the outside things. So for a break we ran to town for their annual livestock festival. They had a parade with “antique” (pre 65) tractors, old sheep camps, horse drawn wagons, and finally a big flock of sheep was driven down Main Street. I told my wife when I retire and the kids are all moved out I want to go live in a sheep camp. Follow that up with sheepdog exhibitions horse and tractor pulls and a ranch rodeo and we’re ready for the coming week where hopefully I can get some stuff done around the outside. I for sure have to pull shoes off this week. We also somehow wound up with another cat. In a month I’ve gone from 0 to 4 and I’m just praying it stops there.
In planning for sheep next year I’m starting to gather supplies for a fence and reading around these forums I’ve seen mention of high tensile fence and I’m wondering if that would be better than traditional pasture fence. Most fences around here are pasture fence or barbed wire so high tensile is a new concept