High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that donating Bellweather to the Navajo Nation would be a good thing. Get a tax receipt from the Tribal Council to deduct her value from your taxes. The Navajo will have a use for her - either as meat or to produce for their flocks. Contact the local Tribal Council office and they will let you know how to go about donating her. They probably will have someone that needs a ewe, or a meat supply.

Good idea.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Life is all about changes, and those dang changes really throw a wrench in your plans and derail everything for a while. I was comfortable in my beautiful area working on finishing my basement and building a new chicken coop and maybe start a new fencing project when I get a call asking if I was possibly interested in applying for a new job up at the Utah/Idaho border. With everything going on with coronavirus that’s been a long drawn out process but in the end they offered me the job with a huge raise and we’d be a few minutes from my in-laws. So we’re in the process of downsizing as we prepare to move by the first of August. Sold the chicks and some sheep and are getting rid of the mountain of junk we’ve somehow accumulated over the last few years. So just an update to say I’m alive, we’re healthy, and hopefully we can find a house with acreage quick.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
All I have to say is MORE WATER!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you. If you need more sheep, call Travis Blackburn in Axtell UT which is mid state. He has good White Dorpers - both commercials and registered. He also trucks his lambs to Texas once a month so you might be able to get yours on his truck. He also knows many of the sheep producers in Utah.

You should be able to find reasonably priced acreage up there with farm buildings on site. Make sure you have water right for water lines and irrigation. So excited for you and your family!!!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope your move can go smoothly and that you can find a place in the country where you can continue to raise all of the animals you want.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m alive! Super busy but alive. We unfortunately have not found a place to live yet, the housing market is a sellers market with limited choices. Found the perfect place, made an offer 11,000 over asking price, and beat out by some Californians who offered $30,000 over all in cash! Who’s got that kind of money? Our realtor says that’s become a common theme, people are leaving California and buying up these homes with property and it’s thrown the market on its ear. Strange times. So we’re still with my in-laws and fortunately they have some land so I have somewhere for the horses and the sheep. The neighbor had actually had my sheep grazing his property for him so it’s been nicer on the feed bill. Even nicer is I have an old friend up here who brokers hay to the Chinese. He gets bales that are rejected for not quite being up to their standards but are perfectly fine for feeding horses and sheep, so I have an in for free hay.
The only downside is the situation hasn’t made it the easiest for separating Gus Gus from the ewes so it’ll be a surprise as to when lambs will start hitting the ground. Not ideal but beggars can’t be choosers and at least I still get to keep my sheep. Bella appreciates it too, it’s been a little easier to train with her and she’s coming along nicely. Of course now my sheep are pretty tame and they practically knock me over when we do drills wearing them to me. I now end up in the middle. A couple more weeks and we’ll start working on driving. At the moment we’re working on holding the bunch in the corner. Works while I’m in the corner but if I step out to do something Bella decides everyone needs to come with. Work in progress. So that’s my update hope all has been well for everyone else.

Latest posts