High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom -- yeah, they'll try to put regs into place limiting "things" -- then LEAVE!! Oughta be a law to stop some of it. Of course, there is in the zoning for most rural areas.

One year a rather newly moved in couple -- who had 2 acres of lawn -- complained to powers that be about the neighbor across the street for no "keeping their grass cut". Zoning came out, looked at the 20 acres and said "lady, that's pasture -- see the animals???" NO, not required to cut. There are just things that seem to fall into common sense.

Roosters crow out here!!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately cities creep up and grab nearby rural farmland so they can tax it.

One previous neighbor had a neighborhood meeting about fly control. He wanted to have everybody required to hang up fly catchers and spray their properties for control of flies. DH pointed out that since we back onto 100 acres of open land leading into the Angeles National Forest, that there would still be flies. The neighbor wanted to know why, and DH had to explain that you couldn't control the flies from the wildlife poop and dead animals in the open wildlands. Duh!

We are trying to sell our property in Washington and 1031 into another piece in either TX, or somewhere since TX is becoming infiltrated by liberals and the property taxes will go sky high even with the AG and senior exemptions. Very sad right now, and worried about the election.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We’ll find something, and probably have to overpay to get it but that’s ok. It’ll all work out in the end. For now we save money that will be added with our housing fund and improve our ability to get a home. Sheep are back at the neighbors, he fenced off more of his property and asked us to bring the sheep back over to clean the area up.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Ridgetop hes told me he’s considering Boer goats, apparently a couple down the road have him sold on them. He worries sheep might be too much maintenance for him as he has an ailing wife and several other projects. He haS a mess of apple trees that he makes cider from and runs 50 beehives between his home and some private land up the canyon. But for now he’s more than happy to have them so I won’t complain.
We put in an offer and are waiting to hear back, they needed a few weeks to figure out what their plan is. They’ve been thinking about building for a while and knew we were looking so they told us to make them an offer and they’ll keep it off the market for now. It’s not 5 acres, but it’s got a ton to offer. 2.3 acres with water shares, about 1 acre of irrigated Pasture, a huge garden, fruit trees, a huge shop, several shelters for horses and sheep, hay shed, big tack shed, and it’s right across the street from a public riding arena. The house is old and a little smaller than we hoped but it’s sound and has sufficient for what we need. We’re really buying it for the out buildings. So fingers crossed and we’ll see what happens

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
With your plans for the family, you can easily add onto the house while the outbuildings, water shares, irrigated pasture and existing garden and orchard space are perfect. When we relocate, the well, water, pasture and OUTBUILDINGS take precedence. We know we can renovate a house, but trying to build outbuildings and fencing is hard to do when you have livestock that need attention RIGHT NOW! And it sounds like everything it is in good condition now which means you can move right in and not have to bring anything back up to usable condition for your animals. The inside of the house can be fixed up during bad weather conditions when you can't really work outside. Since we are approaching winter that sounds perfect for you. Nice size acreage too since you and your wife both work.
:weee:yesss:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well we finally got a place. Not the one we were looking at but it’s a good home on an acre out in the agricultural zone. We’re grandfathered in with an acre, the city passed a law 60 years ago saying if anyone wanted to build out here they needed 10 acres so we shouldn’t see too much development out here. We’re actually in the middle of a 20 acre field and the neighbor who owns it had talked about selling a couple acres to the previous occupants so there’s some hope for expansion. We got moved in on Saturday and in perfect time too because my wife got sick Monday with what turned out to be COVID. Guess who has it now? I do not recommend this experience it’s like a wicked cold that gets a little worse every day. But at least we have our own place to be isolated. And I can still get my chores done though it really wipes me out. So I’m alive and will hopefully be able to update with more frequency now that I have a place to call home

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
First the good news and I was getting happy for y'all. Then the bad news of y'all getting Covid and I got sad for y'all. At least you have your own home now to hunker down in and be sick. That Covid is bad, we have lots of friends that have had it. We think it went through our family in February this year, DD and 2 youngest granddaughters were sick , I babysat them, my husband got sick and like to have never gotten over it. Our son had it and was SO sick. And all before Covid was a diagnosis. I feel your pain. My husband went to the doctor, got a shot of antibiotics, a shot of steriods, an albuterol inhaler and a bottle of antibiotics to take. If your doctor will give you a prescription for an inhaler, TAKE IT!

Latest posts