High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should have no problem keeping and breeding his daughters back to him for 2 generations. The 3rd generation must be terminal. If you don't want a huge flock, keep these 2 ewe lambs since you know they have a good production mama. Keep their daughters out of Gus Gus and use them to produce meat until you replace the him in several years. You can add other ewes as you go along but having the foundation flock be gentle and tame will help to settle in any new ewes you buy.

Rams are often mellow the first 2 years but many often get more aggressive as they age. Since ewes are productive for 6 to 9 years I would still keep the 2 ewe lambs. Eventually you will replace Gus Gus but the good production and disposition genetics from Heart and her lambs will be worth keeping for a foundation flock. You already know what you have as opposed to getting something else later that is a guess.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Ridgetop you make a good point. Maybe it would be worth keeping them.
Ive been out with a bottle again to at least get the lambs used to the idea of taking a bottle but I really haven’t had to. Everyone looks great and Heart is in fine condition. The big white one I pulled is actually the friendliest little ewe out there. Her siblings are spooky little buggers though, I can’t catch them without Bella. She’s funny to watch with lambs, she’s always seemed to know that the rules for lambs and ewes are different. If the lamb seems confused or doesn’t want to move she’ll walk up and shove them with her nose to move them. It’s getting hot outside, and I’ll probably be shearing this week. We’ve also gotta do a new leach field for our septic tank this week, ours is blocked up and turns out was illegal. More money down the drain (pun intended) but that is life. But I did find a way to make a little side money to even things out. Friend of mine has a lot people wanting their horses started and he doesn’t have time for all of them so I’m back in the colt breaking business. I’m excited for that!

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have to dig a leach field. My current system is a tank with a pipe that goes to a ditch in the field by my home. That pipe got broken up and clogged so that’s I found out about it and technically that’s a big no no. Most people are booked out for weeks but my bishop was able to find someone who can do it as soon as I can get pipe here for a great price. He came highly recommended from multiple other people we know as well.
I am excited to get back in the horse business. When I was going to school up here my friend and I had quite the business going shoeing, training horses, and doing riding lessons. Where he’s been here the whole time and just hasn’t had much time to work with as many horses it’s helpful to already have something of a client base built up. So it’s been a win win for everyone, my wife is close to family where her parents and most of her family are within 10-15 miles of us, we’re 5 miles from my best friend with the horses, and he has someone to help him ride all the horses.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Leach field got installed and passed inspection. I could only go down 18 inches because of the water table and the guy that my bishop found us was awesome. Got it dug and installed in a day. When the inspector came out to check it out he asked me who had helped me and when I told him who he just said “He knows his stuff this will be a great system for you.” Didn’t hardly check anything and just left. So we’re excited to have that behind us.
Lambs are all looking good. I haven’t had to supplement them at all this far and everyone seems to be doing well.
B84E9D95-C15D-48EB-99A7-0F5B73A9A250.jpeg