High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mom's bringing pies
You can never go wrong with Pies!

What is a Kentucky Legends ham? Brand name or method of cooking?
This is the same hickory smoked ham I took to our Thanksgiving gathering as well. Walmart sells them. It was among the best I've eaten and sliced thick, it was very presentable on a big platter.

It, of course is now gone, with the last of it cooked in a pot of pinto beans, but I now have a sliced half Ky Legends honey ham in the fridge for 'samiches'. Haven't tried it yet but I expect it to be just as good.

The Ky Legends name might just be a marketing ploy, but it was lots better than most of the processed boneless hams I've gotten in the past.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss HDC....doesn't make for a very enjoyable holiday. That is really sad about the neighbors sheep, but it did make ya aware of possible problems and allows for the planning of avoidance. I would sure feel the same about those dogs and would've issued the very same warning, too.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah thing is it was their second offense. First time they ate their owners two lambs and a neighbors goat but the neighbors heeler was in on the kill so no calls to animal control. This time animal control was called and the dogs owner had been asked several times to keep them locked up but because it’s the first time documented the dogs are allowed to come back.
And thank you for the condolences he had a good long life and had been waiting to join his wife for 5 years. He’ll be missed but we’re glad that he’s not suffering anymore

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you had an enjoyable holiday... for the most part. Condolences for the loss, coupled with all the driving. You'd think people would learn... owning dogs that have already killed, once they taste blood, it's extremely rare that they WON'T kill again given the chance. Nice scene to come home to. :somad:hit:rant Sounds like you've got a plan so hopefully your sheep will be better protected against that possibility.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I couldn’t keep a dog like that. When the neighbors heeler got in on that he got rid of the heeler same day. A couple LGDs are out of the question for right now but my dogs are great for letting me know when anything is going on outside and I keep my .44 handy with a strong light

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well it’s been a crazy month but I’m still alive, thanks for thinking of me. With all our birthdays and Christmas and New Years and a thousand visits to relatives it’s qll been a little crazy. Then after a week long battle with what turned out to be gout we’re finally getting back to working on our house and finishing up a few things outside. It’s been a freak winter this year as we’ve been in the 50s most days which isn’t doing our snow pack any favors. It’s gonna be a dry summer.
So hopefully with less happening I’ll be able to get on more. hope everyone had a good holiday season

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just read your journal. It's interesting to see pics from your area and hear about how different the stock is. That little rainfall is crazy! When we get a downpour here, our creeks swell out of their banks making it near impossible to do rotational grazing and our road floods. We've had to drive out through our hay field before as it has a culvert access to another road and deal with the ruts we left!

Btw we live in Southern Indiana so completely different lay of the land here!